Alaska Superstol build

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
BDA
Veteran Member

Re: Alaska Superstol build

Post by BDA »

Fitting slats today
I had the same problem, except the bottom holes were weld distorted so I took the collet off of the dremel and reassembled in the hole and it would just barely reach - thank goodness - cause bearings would NOT fit on a couple.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

Rob and I had problems with most of ours on the two Superstols we built but I'm pretty sure the factory has fixed the problem with the new slat hardware. I can't remember where I was and got to see the updated hardware and it didn't need any sanding at all. Hopefully all the new stuff is still all good. It's sort of a hassle sanding those things out as I recall.
Keith Showalter
More Photos at www.keithshowalter.com
Anchorage, Alaska Superstol N445K
Built in NC with Rob Pedersen, Plane Fun Aircraft
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

CanadianSheepHunter wrote:I tried to search “Tools” topic to put these pics in, found this dremel very handy to buff the inside circumference where the bearings go for the slat Hinge Brackets on the wing spar. I could have used a longer bolt to pull the bearing in place but it didn’t take much buffing with this 80 grit buffer wheel to get the upper bearing to basically fall in, I couldn’t do this to the bearing pocket on bottom because my leading edge skins were put on at factory, but the bottom bearing pulled into its spot easily with the bolt.
...I realize now how fragile the bearings are...if you pull the bearings into the pockets with the bolt you will damage some of them...to avoid damage you need to use a large washer the same outside edge diameter as the bearing, and then remove the large washer once the bearing is set into the bottom of the pocket, on my second wing i also made round holes in the aluminum skin to be able to use a brass punch to very carefully tap the bearing in...by tapping on the outside edge of bearing only. The fabric will cover the round holes i made in the aluminum skin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Just Aircraft”