Gen 2 flap handle

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Wmilbauer
Forum Regular

Gen 2 flap handle

Post by Wmilbauer »

Has anyone flown the current flap handle and the new handle to compare what the operational difference is. I am considering flying to the factory and getting one if there is an improvement in the effort to extend the flaps.
Wayne
kenryan
Veteran Member

Re: Gen 2 flap handle

Post by kenryan »

I'm bumping this thread to ask if anyone out there has any information on this new flap handle. What changes were made and how significant is the improvement? I don't want to waste time modifying my flap handle if there is already something better available.
Super Stol Kit #299
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

Are these SS only improvements? or are they applicable to the Highlanders as well? This goes for both the factory and one on the Plane Fun Aircraft website.
Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
Wmilbauer
Forum Regular

Post by Wmilbauer »

Well I have finally flown with the new flap handle . It is better locking in the flap positions with out using a large washer on the end to lock it in position with your thumb. My best guess is it requires about 25 percent less force to get to position 3 but it is all relative to your airspeed.
Wayne
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Anymore info on this? When did this flap handle change make it into the kits? I picked my kit up in Mar 18. What exactly was changed? Any drawings from the factory or pictures?

Thanks,
Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Clark,
Here are a couple of photos of the old style flap handle. It's very different than the new design of which I have no photos. The new system has a longer handle, a different locking system and it mounts further aft than the old design. The problem with the old design is with the locking system failure to engage. The flaps operate fine when not in flight, however the aerodynamic load on the flaps in flight cause some flexing in the handle that changes the geometry in the locking system. That either keeps the flaps from locking into position or slipping out of position, usually at the most inopportune time, like on short final. The fix requires some modification to the openings in the aluminum plates on each side of the handle but the factory does not provide much guidance on how much to cut out. It's more or less by trial and error. I have 60+ hours on my plane and have had the flap handle assembly out twice. It is improved but not right yet. It's a pain in the butt to remove and replace but I'm going to have to do it at least once more and I'm not happy about it. This time in addition to cutting out more material on the aluminum plates I'm going to install a washer on release button. That will make is easier to pull up on the button when trying to force the flaps to engage. I'm also going to try to put a stronger spring under the button and see if that helps. Another problem with this system is the steel bolt that engages the aluminum plates in the locking system. The bolt is forced against the tips on the opening in the aluminum which caused the aluminum to gall creating even more friction which makes it harder to get the flaps to engage. I may buy some titanium plates from McMaster to replace the aluminum if I can't correct the problem. I'm not happy about that either but the flaps failure to engage/slipping out of position is a safety issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

I was told by several builders to make plates out of steel - OR - use Billy Payne’s

I bought one from Billy - the little I have flown with his - diff plane - had none of those issues.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Thanks John, I appreciate the effort to explain the differences. I have the Gen2 but it sounds like there are still issues with it? I agree, this is a safety issue.

My next question was to hear from those that have purchased Billy's flap handle to see if it is a worthwhile purchase? Shawn, it sounds like that is a YES. How is the fit and finish of it? Is it sturdy, flimsy, just right? Did it come assembled? Besides price, is there anything you don't like about it?

Again, thanks for the feedback guys!
Clark
Cave Creek, AZ
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Clark,
Short answer - yes.

Long answer - flap function -in my opinion- is very important for this airplane, when I flew the factory plane, the stock flaps were unacceptable.
The handle Billy sells is much better- not perfect - but good.
Drawback? - it has no difinitive angle settings , just infinite ratchet - think E-brake.
It is too expensive - in my opinion, but I wouldnt sell it for nothing either.
I did not like the fit and finish, so I did some welding and blending and painting, and lightening holes.
Its steel and heavier than stock, made using a foreign car E-brake. Very strong. Maybe overbuilt?
I made lightening holes, then changed my mind and just cut off all the extra steel.
Sorry about the pic, will take more when I get home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BDA on Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Ok all, I picked up my kit in 2014; Is that a gen 2? How are the rest of the Highlander builders of that era doing with their flap handles?
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Thanks Shawn. I will get one. Whats another $800 at this point? :D

Yes, I would like to see the mods you made if you've got pics of them?

Thanks!
Clark
BDA wrote:Clark,
Short answer - yes.

Long answer - flap function -in my opinion- is very important for this airplane, when I flew the factory plane, the stock flaps were unacceptable.
The handle Billy sells is much better- not perfect - but good.
Drawback? - it has no difinitive angle settings , just infinite ratchet - think E-brake.
It is too expensive - in my opinion, but I wouldnt sell it for nothing either.
I did not like the fit and finish, so I did some welding and blending and painting, and lightening holes.
Its steel and heavier than stock, made using a foreign car E-brake. Very strong. Maybe overbuilt?
I made lightening holes, then changed my mind and just cut off all the extra steel.
Sorry about the pic, will take more when I get home.
Cave Creek, AZ

Return to “Just Aircraft”