Mounting Landing Gear

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Mounting Landing Gear

Post by Tralika »

I'm mounting my Extreme Landing Gear. The instructions say to "measure the axles as they are sitting. You want 1.5 degrees or as close as possible" The instructions go on to say the angle is adjusted by grinding the long end of the bungee strut.

Does that mean the outboard end of the axle should be higher than the inboard end relative to the lateral axis of the fuselage?

How do you measure 1.5 degrees?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: Mounting Landing Gear

Post by SheepdogRD »

Tralika wrote:How do you measure 1.5 degrees?
You can use the tangent of 1.5 degrees. Tangent is the ratio of "rise" to "run". An angle of 1.5 degrees gives 0.0262" of "rise" for every 1 inch of "run".

To calculate your ideal rise, measure the length (run) of your axle, and multiply that by .0262. I measured our Extreme gear overall axle length at 9". Thus, a 1.5 degree angle would yield 9 x 0.0262 = 0.236" ideal rise over the full length of the axle.

To get your actual rise, measure the height difference between the inboard and outboard ends of the axle.

Compare your ideal rise to your actual rise. If the actual number is larger, it means a bit of grinding will help.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
bluemax
Veteran Member

Re: Mounting Landing Gear

Post by bluemax »

Shouldn't the inner axle be higher than the outer axle? The top of the wheel should tilt outward?

I have a small metal cube called a AccuRemote that electronically measures angle, tilt and bevel, digitally. Very simple to use this to determine the angle of the axle, relative to level ground.
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio

Return to “Just Aircraft”