Static port location

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
JHR
Forum Regular

Static port location

Post by JHR »

I now have 60 hours on my Highlander and very happy with it except the airspeed indicator reading high. The static port is just the static tube vented behind the panel.
Has anyone found a good location for the port on the fuselage?

Any help appreciated.
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Re: Static port location

Post by FlyerChief »

The easiest and most logical place is on the boot cowl. I installed dual ports (one on each side) and joined them with a "tee" fitting behind the panel. Because it has two sources, it balances out any variation due to the slipstream rotating around the plane from the prop wash. It seems to work well.
Dan
1041529_orig.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

My kit, #0087, came with the pitot and static ports premade in the form of two bent aluminum tubes that I installed in the port wing. The pitot was of course open on the tip. The static came with 4 tiny holes drilled around the end an inch or so from the tip. I was to plug the tip with epoxy and join the two together with the same so that they were stacked. Having both of these "sensors" together out on the wing gives a stable reference input.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Same as Alan for me.
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

I used this from AS,combo pitot and static

Works perfectly...

Gary
15144s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Very similar to mine.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
Tony Armour
Forum Regular

Post by Tony Armour »

My airspeed is also about 10mph high in cruise. As the op does, I only have a short piece (2") of tubing right on the airspeed indicator. I just installed a Garmin G5 and looking to correct this. I am going to install a matching static beside the pitot out on the wing. Pitot is only a homemade piece from 1/4" aluminum tubing. Today I pulled the tank cover off and that along with inspection plates removed, it looks to be a simple job running another tubing line. Hoping for good results or close enough I can adjust the static with baffles (o-rings etc)
z987k
Forum Regular

Post by z987k »

Has anyone installed or replaced a pitot after covering? I have the pitot/static pictured in this thread, but was going to put something in with the AoA hole. I'm hoping not to have to cut open fabric.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

For anyone installing static ports, Cleaveland Tool has a surprisingly inexpensive kit that has all of the tubing and fittings necessary for a basic system. It's the "Static Ports and Plumbing Kit", Part No. SPFKITW, at http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Static-Po ... 3teLOhJGHs. Current price is $48.75. I couldn't find a price anywhere else that came close.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

I used the Cleaveland static ports and connectors. Very high quality and easy to install. The connectors are quick release, very handy as my static ports are mounted on removable aluminum boot cowls. I agree the kit is as good a deal as your going to find.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon

Return to “Just Aircraft”