Strobe/Nav Light Mounts

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Strobe/Nav Light Mounts

Post by Tralika »

My kit came with the fiberglass wingtip Strobe/Nav Light mounts but no guidance on how to install them. I have some limited experience with fiberglass but I'm not sure how to proceed. Are these mounted by cutting a hole in the wing tip and pushing the mount through from the inside or just using fiberglass resin as an epoxy to mount them to to the outside and smoothing out the transition to the wingtip surface. If anyone has installed these things I'd like to hear your technique, results, recommendations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Strobe/Nav Light Mounts

Post by danerazz »

I saw a highlander that they made a plate the shape of the back of the nav light then attached it on the wingtip and just faired it in with filler. Looked really clean and relatively low profile. Wish I had a picture, maybe in the spring when I do mine.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

John,
If you have done some fiberglass work this is pretty easy. You'll have to position the light mount on the wing tip were you feel it fits best. Just be sure to measure so both left and right are similar in distance from the leading edge. After you get the position some of the mount can be cut back so if fares into the wingtip. Once you have the position drill some 1/8 hole through the mount and wing tip so you can add a few clecos to hold it together. The wingtip will need to have a hole cut under the mount so you can run the wires.

The prep work is similar to all other fiberglass work. The wing tip and mount need to be cleaned and sanding to take off all the gloss. Make sure you sand out farther a couple of inches because the fiberglass cloth will extend a few inches beyond the seam. While the mount is in position with clecos sand the two parts together so you create a smooth transition between the 2 parts.. Once your happy with the fit your ready start the glass work. I like to mix up epoxy with micro balloons, add enough moro so you get a consistency similar to toothpaste. Spread the miro on the tip and mount. Install the clecos to hold the part in position while the micro dries. Make sure you dip the end of the clecos in grease, it you don't it will be really hard to get them out. use a body putty knife to smooth out the miro, your trying the create a smooth transitions. After the micro dries take the clecos out. Sand the transition. I use 2 part Super Fill with a plastic putty knife to further smooth the transition before adding the glass. After your happy with the transitions add a couple of lawyer of crows weave glass wetted out with epoxy. I like using the WEST SYSTEM with a slow hardener.

Gary

Sounds harder than it really is.
DSC_0147.JPG
DSC_0145.JPG
DSC_0146.JPG
IMG_3250.jpg
IMG_3252.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Thanks for the reply Gary. Very clear in instructions and great photos.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon

Return to “Just Aircraft”