3D Printing

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

3D Printing

Post by mhcrowder »

Now that EAA members have access to Solidworks, anyone using a 3D printer for airplane parts? Anyone willing to share design files? At some point I plan to try a Ray Allen trim servo cover.

===
Michael
Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
cmcgeary

Re: 3D Printing

Post by cmcgeary »

We have a MarkForged printer at work. It prints in nylon, with optional kevlar, fiberglass or carbon fiber reinforcement. So far, I've printed mounts for tip lights (Whelen 600s)(I wanted to mount them further out so that they could be seen closer to the aircraft from directly in front or in back). Just for fun, I also printed a replacement for the plate directly above the tailwheel. One of my co-workers had a top printed to modify an actual pistol grip into a control stick grip.
If you don't have access to a printer, we have found <http://www.shapeways.com> to be fast, excellent quality and reasonably priced. They use a type of 3D printing called selective laser sintering, which does not require support structures. This allows you more freedom of shapes and reduces cleanup.
The Flying Hare

Ray Allen Servo Cover 3D printer .STL file

Post by The Flying Hare »

I have been working with a friend of mine that is a Solid Works professional, he has created a 2 part Ray Allen servo cover .STL file.
It looks pretty good, but then I went out in the market place to find a 3D printing company, and have been quite disappointed with the price as quoted to print the part. If anyone has access to a decent 3D printer, and wants to try a prototype print, I would be willing to share the file.....

Contact me off line, and we can go from there.....

Chris Hare
Superstol
Conroe TX
Jentree

Post by Jentree »

+1 for shapeways
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Whatever became of this? Did you find someone to 3D print this?

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ

Return to “Just Aircraft”