Super Stol Updated Build manual

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
BDA
Veteran Member

Super Stol Updated Build manual

Post by BDA »

I have found that when I don't have enough info in my superstol manual to complete something - sometimes the info I need is in the UPDATED Highlander manual.
There are more pictures in the Highlander manual too. I'm jealous - and found this out waaaaaaaay to late.

The guys at the Factory, Buddy in particular has been a HUGE help - Thanks Buddy!

Can we compile a list here of things that you / we have been stumped on during our builds, that could be answered for others, and then captured for the next manual upgrade. - maybe even just post your pictures of the task.

So here is what I propose:
- First have the Moderator "Pin" this to the top.
- Then Post a subject in the manual and discuss and post pictures for 1 or 2 weeks - then Post the Next subject - and so on.

Lets try not to get too far into the weeds

I am willing to handle the subject changes - but don't feel the most qualified - Moderator?

Anyone that has a list of things they found lacking please post or attach.

This is Superstol posts only - lets make a separate one for Highlander
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
BDA
Veteran Member

Re: Super Stol Updated Build manual

Post by BDA »

Well - I got busy and dropped the ball here - sorry.

I was doing some rigging of Flap cables and control cables and there just was not enough info in the Superstol build manual for a first timer to do the job, so I looked through the Highlander manual and whatdouknow page 95 and following pages were pictures, part numbers and everything.

Cable "bushings" for attachment to the flap handle supplied in the kit and the ones called out in the manual are different number but look like they will work - any thoughts here?

My Mechanic said castle nuts with cotter keys only for control cable pulleys but some of the bolts are not drilled - nyloc ok??

Tricks -
- when heat shrinking the cable I found it works better to use a "single cable tube" on the tail first with a larger heat shrink tube over both after that, cleaner and easier.

- When crimping cable, I found it easier to leave the tail long, vise grip the tail by the ferrule and cinch down the loop and thimble to the vise grip - and cut tail after crimp. So that I didn't vise grip the hell out of the short little tail and have to try to stuff all those little hairy SOBs into the heat shrink

Please post anything you have on this subject
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

I ran into a problem with my flaps that the manual needs work on - hope I can save someone the time

I built the first flap according to the drawing, although some instructions - ANY instructions would have saved a lot of head scratching. No problem with the first one.

Then I located the second flap spar, checked to be sure the sticker was for the right side, checke the locator hole per the drawing to make sure I had the right side on top, then riveted and epoxied the fittings on. But the skin would not fit.

Turns out I had been sent a spar with the sticker indicationg it was a right flap but the hole that determins the top made it a left. So I got to practice drilling rivets and removing epoxy.

(they are interchangeable if you flip end for end) The CORRECT way to determin left and right is to measure from the end of the flap to the mount bracket, short end goes outboard.

I will add pictures later
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

BDA wrote:I have found that when I don't have enough info in my superstol manual to complete something - sometimes the info I need is in the UPDATED Highlander manual.
There are more pictures in the Highlander manual too. I'm jealous - and found this out waaaaaaaay to late.
I'd bet SuperSTOL builders can get a copy of the Highlander manual on CD from the factory. It's probably too big to email -- nearly 30MB. It'd be worth whatever they charge to duplicate on CD and mail.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

SS flap spar.jpg
ss flap spar2.jpg
ss flap spar 3.jpg
ss flap.jpg
Pictures of flap spar with witness hole and track bracket mounting point - where the measurement needs to be taken instead
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

I talked to Jak and Buddy, they are in the process of making an all new SS manual right now.

Hopefully it will include the new tail feathers and the Titan engine.
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Its Done!!

The new Super Stol manual complete with Titan FWF instructions is done!

Call the factory and ask Buddy for it.

I have not had time to read all the way through it but I did see a few of the updates.

Good Job Buddy, Thank You
N331AK. Shawn Taplin

Return to “Just Aircraft”