Highlander T3 Tailwheel Suspension

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
stede52
Premium Member

Re: Highlander T3 Tailwheel Suspension

Post by stede52 »

Fred, Is this your own personal upgrade? or is Airframes Alaska selling them? I don't see them on the Airframes site but they do say they are in the process of fine tuning them the T3
Steve D N419LD
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

I did the mod on my own. I did see photos on line with fox mountain bike shocks on T3 tailwheels in the past but I guess they chose a less expensive coil over shock for production. (The fox shock runs $300-400) I think I have about 30 takeoff and landings on the fox air shock now and it has much better dampening. I also am running the air pressure on the high end to keep the castor angle of the tailwheel in a more stable range. As more weight went on the tail I thought the stock setup T3 compressed too much putting the castor angle into the shimmy range. The stock shock also didn't have a locking ring allowing the preload to back off over time. Downside is I have to check the pressure every once in a while. The Fox shock is also about 2/3 of a pound lighter. The eye holes on the fox shock are bigger so you'll need to machine some bushings.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Thanks for the info Fred
Steve D N419LD
Israel

Post by Israel »

Hi
And yes I just broke my tail spring.
These all look very nice but im afraid I will have to install another spring (cost) I will just replace it every 200 hours my question is, dose the spring come from aircraft spruce?
Israel Win
Balclutha
New Zealand
Held PPL for 20 Years lucky to do 5 hours a year after gaining it,
Brought the Just aircraft Escapade/Highlander #169 two and a half years ago and have done over 300 hours in it.
Can't stay out of it.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

You can get a replacement flat tailwheel spring from Just. You might also take your broken spring to a local automotive suspension shop and have one made. Others have have had double spring replacements made. If you do a search here on the forum for "double spring" you should be able to look up some of the threads. I know others have had tailwheel spring failures and said they had no prior indication of cracking. The other failures I know of occurred right at the end of the fuselage where the spring starts to curve down. I'm removing my spring and taking a close look at it during the annual condition inspection. Where did yours fail?
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
Israel

Post by Israel »

It snapped before the bend at the back of the fuselage. Looking at it it had been cracked for a bit. Emailed just this morning and they said the springs are on back order. I did get a temporary one made last week but it’s only 8mm no 1 1/2” x3/8 spring steel in Nz don’t think I can double up holder only 3/8” deep. How do you attach photos?
Israel Win
Balclutha
New Zealand
Brought the Just aircraft Escapade/Highlander #169 two and a half years ago and have done over 300 hours in it.
Can't stay out of it.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

When you compose your reply, look at the blue field just below the "Save draft - Preview - Submit" tabs at the bottom of the text window. On the left side there are two tabs "Options" and "Upload attachments". Click on the upload attachment tab and browse for your photo.

Was your plane damaged when the spring failed? It usually takes out the rudder.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
Israel

Post by Israel »

Yes bent the rudder. And ripped the steering horn out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Israel Win
Balclutha
New Zealand
Can't stay out of it.

Return to “Just Aircraft”