Firewall Rubber Seal

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Firewall Rubber Seal

Post by jjacky »

Hi All I'm in the process of reinstalling my firewall and debating on using the rubber seal or installing a flange. Some of you have and some have not. Penny for your thoughts (alright its worth a hell of lot more then a penny but I'm finishing up the instrument panel so that's about all I've got left!)
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
gkremers
Veteran Member

Re: Firewall Rubber Seal

Post by gkremers »

I really didn't like the idea of a rubber seal and wanted a little more structure for the boot cowl installation. I don't have good pics of the 90 degree aluminum angle but if you've seen or have built a instrument panel it the same technique. Slotted on one side to allow the angle to follow the contour. It works for most of the firewall but a had to use a thinner material and my friends shrinker to form the tight radius in the corners. The angle and firewall are sealed

I included the page from Vans that shows how the angle is cut, upper left portion of the drawing.

Gary
IMG_1201.jpg
IMG_1285.jpg
aluminum angle.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Great..Thanks GK..Also thanks for the firewall snapshots.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

I should know this but what is the litle vial of oil for? Also any more pics you want to post on the firewall would be appreciated...Thanks Jay
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Jay,
The vial is the brake fluid reservoir. I really don't like the master cylinders with the reservoir built in. I sent them back to Just for credit and ordered the ones I like from Matco directly. Just let me know what pics would be helpful and I'll see what I have. Are you looking for initial installation pics or where components are positioned.

Gary
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Thanks Gary...Yes I am in the process of making my firewall penetrations so the pictures you sent are very helpful and any other you might deem appropriate would be great. I hate to keep asking questions but I only see the one choke cable coming through. Are you simply choking one carb ( I hear that works well) or is there something else I can't see?...Thanks Again.

Jay
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Jay,
There is one cable that splits into 2 before it penetrates the firewall. I used Mac Farlane cables for enricher, throttle and heat.

If you look at the upper right and upper left in the 2 pics you see the blue anodized aluminum cable holder. Those are for the choke, they cross in front of the oil tank. If you blow up the pics you can see them crossing. I did that because it's such a short distance from the firewall to the carbs any engine motion would pull on the cables. I did the same sort of thing on another build using the 912 engine.

This and the wiring were my favorite two parts of the build. Well I also like scratching building the fiberglass parts but thats another topic!!

Gary
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Well I feel like a goof. I thought one of your pictures was of your plane and the other was a "Van". Anyway, I'm squared away now so thank you very much...jbird.

Return to “Just Aircraft”