Levil Aviation

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Re: Levil Aviation

Post by R Rinker »

I have not kept up on the latest/greatest, and when I watched this video on the BOM....I am astounded...flabbergasted!!! Who would go with wiring up a panel now, instead of one of these??
Also, I could switch it to the 182 for long trips when I wanted to.
For me, where I live, I wouldn't leave the ground without IFR capability. It's too easy to get into fog/scud and get caught. I wouldn't be alive if I didn't start out from the beginning with IFR proficiency, & instrumentation.
Concerning autopilot...a normal fight in my career is a 2 1/2 to 5 hour cross country, and sometimes longer, up to 7 hours....I have thousands of hours in the Yukon, Alaska, Northern Canada, and even into Siberia,...all in Cessna's without autopilot. I fly the DG, artificial horizon, & altimeter normally. But seldom reference the altimeter because you learn to maintain altitude without thinking at all. Somehow, I feel if I had autopilot I'd either fall asleep or simply lose concentration of what's going on and stop flying the airplane, & that would not be good. Don't get me wrong...I know it would be a great accessory to have, but I still wonder...if you don't want to fly the airplane...then why are you going up in the air with it?
Also, I want a good moving map display & I've never used synthetic vision, but I think that is what I want also.
Rodger Rinker - Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

I'm so glad to learn about all of this too, as I'm still contemplating my new panel for my Highlander and all this has just thrown a monkey wrench in tbat.

And haring the comments from others here that have had bad sitations like I had reaffirms my desire to equip my otherwise simple airplane with a few great safety devices. I still plan to start with a good synthetic vision and ultimately an autopilot. Only problem is that I have a factory built aircraft that I plan to get out of the mothballs and some of this stuff is not legal on a certified aircraft. But at least that airplane has old fashioned IFR steam gauges...

This is a great discussion. It's amazing to learn what I didn't know.
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Post by R Rinker »

According to the video, the BOM is legal now in a certified airplane because it is not hard wired in...otherwise it's no different than carrying a portable handheld gps or any kind of tablet etc. that is not certified.
Rodger Rinker - Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Well that's great news! So I could move it from plane to plane. That is extra cool!!! Thanks for catching that in the video.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

R Rinker wrote:According to the video, the BOM is legal now in a certified airplane because it is not hard wired in...otherwise it's no different than carrying a portable handheld gps or any kind of tablet etc. that is not certified.
av8rps wrote:Well that's great news! So I could move it from plane to plane. That is extra cool!!! Thanks for catching that in the video.
When thinking about moving the BOM from plane to plane, one thing to consider is that the AOA system must be calibrated after installation. Setup is specific to the airplane. That isn't information from Levil, though; it's just what I've seen in AOA installation instructions. If it's possible to save AOA calibration information for an aircraft, it might be possible to move the system between planes and easily recalibrate the AOA system using historical data. And there's nothing preventing us from moving the BOM and choosing not to dsplay the (uncalibrated) AOA information.

I think it might be possible for Levil to program calibration into the system. It would likely require that we fly some stall sequences, but the software could handle the calculations and set the display up for us. It's going to have all the information on the physics of the stall, and might do better at setting up the gauge's zones than we can. It would be an interesting challenge in airplanes that tend to mush rather than break.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Levil announced in an email to buyers that it's delivering the Beacon by Oshkosh, but is delaying the BOM until mid-December to build in "additional innovations"... and keep up with continuing NORSEE paperwork.

I'm hoping that means they're figuring out how to integrate Engine Management information into the WiFi datastream.

The delay sure puts a crimp in my plans to finalize the panel design after Oshkosh, but I won't run out of things to do...
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Djones1001

Like mentioned chemical stripper is probably the best first

Post by Djones1001 »

Like mentioned chemical stripper is probably the best first route. If you plan on recoating the product anyway did you try aluminum oxide media? It’s a bit expensive but you can probably find a local sandblast shop that would use it which is usually able to remove powder coating. http://www.pittsburghsprayequip.com/201 ... ete-guide/

Return to “Just Aircraft”