Lap belt attach points

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.

Moderator: scubarider2

Re: Lap belt attach points

Postby Tralika » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:45 am

They make rubber and plastic nut caps that should work. Here's one example from McMaster https://www.mcmaster.com/#bolt-caps/=193ydi0 If you do a google search for rubber hex nut caps you'll see a bunch more. Plastic might be better than rubber, less friction against the fabric. A little dab of of adhesive on the end of the bolt should keep it from rubbing off.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
Tralika
Veteran Member

Postby SuperFly » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:38 pm

Great thinking John! Thanks for the tip. Ill order, and report back with my findings.
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Postby AV8R Paul » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:18 am

Ahh someone that understands the Engineering load capacity behind the cable design. I doubt the aluminum tube that has been compromised with multiple holes drilled in would be anywhere close to adequate. I like your non-gender specific 200# person. Your analysis proves it will hold a 210# old guy that looks like Santa Claus. :lol:

danerazz wrote:Thanks, I thought it may have been crow.

As for the cable sizes, if you think about it, a 200# non-gender specific person at 9g is 1800lbs of force. Each half of the seatbelt carries half of that, or 900lbs. A cable loop has two ends, dividing the force at each end in half, 450lbs per eye, but the middle of the loop will bear closer to the 900lb because it is a single piece, not two separate cables at a given attach point. A 7x19 SS cable has 1760lb rating, galv is 2000lb. 3/32 7x7 is 920 lbs, so even it would be adequate. 1/8" cable is WELL suited and easy to work with. I am pretty sure the control cables are 3/32 as well, at least on my standard highlander.
AV8R Paul
SuperSTOL XL - S/N JA498-11-16
Titan 180 HP
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Previous

Return to Just Aircraft