Oratex is like Yoga Pants

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.

Moderator: scubarider2

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby BDA » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:21 pm

Jeffery Epstien did not kill himself




But he DID DESERVE IT
SuperStol XL With Titan 340
#486 - N331AK
Shawn Taplin
Mods in progress: Wing extensions, Airfoil tail ribs
Goal: 15mph no wind
User avatar
BDA
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:25 am
Location: Kenai Alaska

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby AV8R Paul » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:51 pm

:D You nailed that one, he did deserve his fate! Every video he produced to bribe all the big wigs & Politicians kind of back fired. I think the fact that one in Particular got him to commit suicide. :roll:

BDA wrote:Jeffery Epstien did not kill himself




But he DID DESERVE IT
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
SuperSTOL XL - N357TX - Titan 180 HP (Purple Haze)
S/N JA498-11-16
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:49 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby EchoWhiskey » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:38 pm

This may be a stupid question but is there any reason why oratex can't be used internally? For internal panels. Has anyone tried it?
EchoWhiskey
Forum Regular
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby BDA » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:24 am

Go back a few pages, page 12
I wrapped my interior after I did the exterior.
Dont do it that way, do interior first.

I do not like fabric interior done with old style fabric because it is so fragile it always looks like hell.
But this Oratex seems tough enough to hold up, its easy to fix, and it looks good!

I believe Chris Wallen is using Oratex on all of his interiors now.
SuperStol XL With Titan 340
#486 - N331AK
Shawn Taplin
Mods in progress: Wing extensions, Airfoil tail ribs
Goal: 15mph no wind
User avatar
BDA
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:25 am
Location: Kenai Alaska

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby AV8R Paul » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:12 am

After over a year, I have put on over 170 hours, The Oratex needed re-stretched in a couple of places.
The interior of the Baggage compartment still looks new. It is holding up extremely well. One of the advantages over the other fabrics, is they need painted, the oratex in my plane is still silver, no chips or dings in the paint. The only thing I would change about mine is I should have worked harder on minimizing the amount of accent paint on the Fuselage.

BDA wrote:Go back a few pages, page 12
I wrapped my interior after I did the exterior.
Dont do it that way, do interior first.

I do not like fabric interior done with old style fabric because it is so fragile it always looks like hell.
But this Oratex seems tough enough to hold up, its easy to fix, and it looks good!

I believe Chris Wallen is using Oratex on all of his interiors now.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
SuperSTOL XL - N357TX - Titan 180 HP (Purple Haze)
S/N JA498-11-16
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:49 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby Clark in AZ » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:55 pm

AV8R Paul wrote:After over a year, I have put on over 170 hours, The Oratex needed re-stretched in a couple of places.
The interior of the Baggage compartment still looks new. It is holding up extremely well. One of the advantages over the other fabrics, is they need painted, the oratex in my plane is still silver, no chips or dings in the paint. The only thing I would change about mine is I should have worked harder on minimizing the amount of accent paint on the Fuselage.


Why less accent paint? The paint not holding up well?

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:40 am
Location: Cave Creek, AZ

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby BDA » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:34 am

Paul,
What were the problem areas that needed to be reshrunk?
SuperStol XL With Titan 340
#486 - N331AK
Shawn Taplin
Mods in progress: Wing extensions, Airfoil tail ribs
Goal: 15mph no wind
User avatar
BDA
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:25 am
Location: Kenai Alaska

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby AV8R Paul » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:25 pm

Just aft of the turtle deck, the baggage door and around the handle used to push the tail around.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
SuperSTOL XL - N357TX - Titan 180 HP (Purple Haze)
S/N JA498-11-16
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:49 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby AV8R Paul » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:27 pm

Clark in AZ wrote:
AV8R Paul wrote:After over a year, I have put on over 170 hours, The Oratex needed re-stretched in a couple of places.
The interior of the Baggage compartment still looks new. It is holding up extremely well. One of the advantages over the other fabrics, is they need painted, the oratex in my plane is still silver, no chips or dings in the paint. The only thing I would change about mine is I should have worked harder on minimizing the amount of accent paint on the Fuselage.


Why less accent paint? The paint not holding up well?

Clark


The Oratex holds up well. Paint has more blemishes, gets chipped, and adds weight. The color is neat but a bitch to match.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
SuperSTOL XL - N357TX - Titan 180 HP (Purple Haze)
S/N JA498-11-16
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:49 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby Clark in AZ » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:21 pm

Who is using primer on the aluminum before covering with Oratex? I've been told I need to primer the wings before applying Oratex. However, I've read in the Oratex manual that you can either prime or scuff the surface with a Scotchbrite pad. Supposedly, both methods work. Just curious what others are doing?

If I have to prime, I'm looking at a lot of extra work as my wings are built and on the plane, all electrical and mechanical is done. Don't really want to spend days taping them up to prime.

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:40 am
Location: Cave Creek, AZ

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby BDA » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:17 pm

I primed mine because Lars told me the aluminum corosion layer could debond the glue

I am not buying that tho.
Glue layer should stop corosion.
SuperStol XL With Titan 340
#486 - N331AK
Shawn Taplin
Mods in progress: Wing extensions, Airfoil tail ribs
Goal: 15mph no wind
User avatar
BDA
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:25 am
Location: Kenai Alaska

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby BDA » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:04 pm

Twice as fast and twice as toxic
Attachments
6733A064-7DD6-4619-8EB9-996240D40889.jpeg
Spray can epoxy
SuperStol XL With Titan 340
#486 - N331AK
Shawn Taplin
Mods in progress: Wing extensions, Airfoil tail ribs
Goal: 15mph no wind
User avatar
BDA
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:25 am
Location: Kenai Alaska

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby Clark in AZ » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:41 pm

Yeah, I'm not buying that either. I guess that's why he suggested scuffing the aluminum if you don't prime. I'll probably just prime.

Thanks for posting!
Clark

BDA wrote:I primed mine because Lars told me the aluminum corosion layer could debond the glue

I am not buying that tho.
Glue layer should stop corosion.
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:40 am
Location: Cave Creek, AZ

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby danerazz » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:27 pm

Dane

Paralysis by analysis
#242
danerazz
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 1000
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:33 pm
Location: Bangor

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby BDA » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:44 am

I have regrets

Now that I am putting finishing touches on the plane, I am finding small bits of glue that was “overbrushed” where it didnt need to be, and it has turned yellow, and is very hard to remove.

Next time I use Oratex glue I will be very careful to tape everything like I am painting.

The “extra” glue is hard to see until it turns yellow and hardens.

Mostly on tubing clusters
SuperStol XL With Titan 340
#486 - N331AK
Shawn Taplin
Mods in progress: Wing extensions, Airfoil tail ribs
Goal: 15mph no wind
User avatar
BDA
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:25 am
Location: Kenai Alaska

PreviousNext

Return to Just Aircraft