AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
av8rps
Veteran Member

Re: AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

Post by av8rps »

Yes, I second that! There are lots of details in this thread that will help others. That is going to be a kickass SUPER STOL! I love all the extras that make it special. Can't hardly wait for the report on how it all works out once it has some flying time on it.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Today was a busy day. I completed the Vertical Stabilizer hinge interface with the rudder, putting on the carbon fiber tapes, and sanded it. We installed the leading edge mount for the Horizontal Stabilizers, and drilled and installed bolts. Chris completed the of all four of the slats and I helped drill and riveting the 4 slats. We also completed the installation of the rear wall of the baggage area, we split the rear wall glassed a lip on the bottom section so we could pull out the top section of the wall to allow access for inspection & maitenance. We also installed the two side stringers and the top stringer just need hysol it into place.

Here are some photos from today:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Chris Wallen (Wallen Aircraft LLC) is making great progress, he’s got the door/shock mount covers being fitted, struts painted black, rudders painted black, rudders mounted with floor boards put in place, and wings rigged. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I got a text from Chris Wallen, he got my Monster shocks in. Right now I’m pleased Chris Wallen is working on my plane. I had a Basal Cell Carcinoma skin cancer removed from my back. I had it removed about 20 years ago, it was about the size of a quarter back then. I went to the Dermotologist and asked Dr. Dolan to biopsy it even though, It was constantly itching. she Dr Dolan, didn’t think it looked cancerous, but it came back Basal Cell Carcinoma. I went to the surgeon Dr. Saparito, when he finally finished removing all of the cancer it was the size of a baseball cut out of my back. After darting it so he could sew it closed it ended up being about a 7.0 inches suture line. It will be a couple of weeks before I can start lifting heavy weights again.
AV8R Paul
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Those are beautiful Paul! Sorry to hear about the health setback. Here's to a speedy recovery!!!

Are those the new version of the shocks? I didn't get mine when I picked my kit up at the factory as they were still testing. So I'm hoping mine will be shipped soon.

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Clark in AZ wrote:Those are beautiful Paul! Sorry to hear about the health setback. Here's to a speedy recovery!!!

Are those the new version of the shocks? I didn't get mine when I picked my kit up at the factory as they were still testing. So I'm hoping mine will be shipped soon.

Clark
No the monster shocks are an older version. Chris Wallen’s recommended them over the newer design. He got the factory to give a credit on the shocks and then ordered the Monster Shocks. According to Chris they are less than the new shocks.

I’m just glad that I twisted the Doctors arm and asked her to do a biopsy. It went from being the size of a quarter the first time I had it operated on to a little smaller than a baseball. I’m jus hoping the Surgen got it all. I must admit it itches lik hell and hurts. I’ve been laying on an ice pack all day to get the swelling & pain under control. Thanks for your concern.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Well things are progressing nicely. One aileron partially covered still need to rivet the skin, tapes on ribs, and on Leading & trailing edges. Baggage side door, battery charger port, Alaskan bush tires on Berlinger rims, and Rudder Peddels wit Barringer Master Cylinders.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Chris Wallen has started work on the Instrument Panel. He has the G5, and the G3X Touch mounted. He is ready to clear Coat.
AV8R Paul
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Paul, How did you and Chris prep your Aluminum to glue the Oratex? I think BDA Paul used Alumiprep-Alodine. I'm thinking of Alumiprep and then roll on Rust-olem XIM-360 NT. The Rest (inside Aluminum) PTI zinc- chromate.

Anyone else do it different with Oratex?

Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

AV*R Paul, are you posting progress on two different projects? I am confused because there are posts of your XL sitting on the floor with the wings attached and no engine and then below that you are talking about Chris Wallen making progress and photos of a frame with the engine mounted. Unless you are hanging the engine and then taking the engine off again the photos are out of sequence with a time line. I'm pretty sure that Chris is helping you build your XL which appears to be located somewhere other than your shop. Just curious. I can't imagine hanging the engine and taking it off again more than once. Perhaps it is easier to do than I imagine. I took my engine off of my J3 CUB once and I didn't want to but it back on more than the one time. It was tough to do but then I did it by myself. Joe B
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

No. we are only building one plane. the order of the photos are in the correct sequence. We are assembling it at his shop. I built the floor boards & flying tail in my shop at home. I am doing a builders assist with Wallen Aircraft LLC. Right now I am sitting at home in Dallas after surgery trying to recover. Yes Chris Wallen build the plane up than takes the engine off to cover. He prefers doing it in that order, because it causes less damage potential to the paint & covering. He will have everything installed inside of the fuselage when he start covering only removing things as an assembly. He built up the front and rear of the firewall: electronic modules, oil cooler, etc. He then removed it as an assembly with all of the components mounted. He's done the same with the engine. He plans on installing and rigging the Slats, then he will remove them to cover the wings. We installed the floor boards & baggage compartment floor & rear bulkhead, and will remove them to cover the baggage compartment in inside sides of the fuselage. I have been surprised how fast he works. I have been back and fourth 3 times and have been amazed at all the progress he makes in a week or two. The last time I was there I put together the flying tail, and bult the interface between the vertical stabilizer fuselage and the rudder. I'll be heading out next week to help with some covering.

Paul
moving2time wrote:AV*R Paul, are you posting progress on two different projects? I am confused because there are posts of your XL sitting on the floor with the wings attached and no engine and then below that you are talking about Chris Wallen making progress and photos of a frame with the engine mounted. Unless you are hanging the engine and then taking the engine off again the photos are out of sequence with a time line. I'm pretty sure that Chris is helping you build your XL which appears to be located somewhere other than your shop. Just curious. I can't imagine hanging the engine and taking it off again more than once. Perhaps it is easier to do than I imagine. I took my engine off of my J3 CUB once and I didn't want to but it back on more than the one time. It was tough to do but then I did it by myself. Joe B
AV8R Paul
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

[quote="BucF16"]Paul, How did you and Chris prep your Aluminum to glue the Oratex? I think BDA Paul used Alumiprep-Alodine. I'm thinking of Alumiprep and then roll on Rust-olem XIM-360 NT. The Rest (inside Aluminum) PTI zinc- chromate.

Anyone else do it different with Oratex?

Thanks,
Bruce[/quote

AND if you would rather not say, as I know that there are some that are not following the "Standard" process, no worries :mrgreen:

Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Chris is using a Primer on the aluminum prior to applying the Oratex glue, I am not sure what type of primer he is using. Whatever Primer it is he cleared it with Lars. He is using Nason Select Prime 2X 491-17. As long as it is a good two part primer it should be fine. Don't use a one part primer like out of a spray can or something.
AV8R Paul
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Paul, I thought you were doing a build assist but some of the photos were causing my feeble mind confusion. Old age you know! Your tail feathers look like they are working out very nice. Hope your recovery is moving along as well as you highlander. Your XL should be a blast to fly. You may be able to perform Harriers with your set up! :roll: BTW, thank you for the reply. Good luck. Joe b
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Chris Wallen sent me a photo of the baggage area floor board and aft bulkhead, I was pleased to see my work on the floor boards turned out so well.
It’s been a week and 2 days since the surgery, thank goodness the pain, & itching has subsided. The stitches still pull when I lean over, but it is healing nicely.
I’m heading to Travelers Rest next Wednesday to help do some covering. I don’t think I will be capable of doing any heavy lifting.
AV8R Paul

Return to “Just Aircraft”