AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Re: AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

Post by FredHoffman »

That is very impressive progress, looks like you will be flying in just over 6 months. Not Painting was a fast forward for sure. How many are working on the plane? I think my covering and painting took me about a year. Half of the rest of my building hours were looking for the tool I just put down......

Fred
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Fred,

I helped cover one wing, Chris Wallen is doing the Lions share of the work. I am amazed at how fast that young man hammers through a project. However, he is an A&P and that is his full time job. +He has another SuperSTOL build scheduled after he completes mine. I did the fabrication of the tail feathers, the Instrument Panel, Floor Boards, & air dams for the tail. I worked with him to get a better understanding of how the plane is built.

Paul
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

The Toyota Truck advertisement of the year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Congratulations Paul! I saw on Facebook your plane flew. Beautiful!
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

That is awesome! Of course, we need video!

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Well I’ve completed 7.2 hours only 32.8 more hours to complete the 40 Hours. The flying tail looks fracking Awsome, and it meets all of my requirements. It doesn’t wash out or loose control authority on landings (I don’t have any VGs on the Horizontal Stabilizer), it get up on the step and flys straight & level. The trim is very slight and works well. I also turned on the auto pilot and it tracked the heading I could fly it hands off for the stick with my feet on the floor and the ball stayed centered. The AP control for altitude needs to be adjusted the servo can’t seem to hold, it needs to be adjusted. Gary has been flying with me as Safety Pilot, and he was impressed with the flying tail as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AV8R Paul on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Clark in AZ wrote:That is awesome! Of course, we need video!

Clark
I tried posting a short video but it said it was too large.
AV8R Paul
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

Absolutely beautiful job, Paul! Why don't you post your video on YouTube and post the link here? We've gotta to see that fly.
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

bluemax wrote:Absolutely beautiful job, Paul! Why don't you post your video on YouTube and post the link here? We've gotta to see that fly.
I have tried to post the video, but it keeps telling me the video is too large of file. If I was at home I could record it in a less dense file, but on my iPad, I don’t have the software.
AV8R Paul
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

Paul, you could always post to YouTube and provide a link here. Great job by the way.

==
Michael
Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I’ve posted three short videos on YouTube. Go search YouTube for: SuperSTOL XL Purple Haze. They were all posted by Paul Zimmermann.

Also, I’ve flown off 25.0 hours, 15.0 hours left to finish the mandatory 40 hours.
AV8R Paul
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Nice vids, thanks for taking the time to post them. She sure looks good in flight! You're almost done 15 to go. Is it everything you thought it would be? Any problems?

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I’ve had a couple of minor issues. The cabin heat push pull, carb heat, and break lock. The cables are bending the instrument panel, it is carbon fiber. I noticed some stress cracking. I asked Chris Wallen to paint some large diameter washers black and we put them on the cable in front and behind of each of the push pull cables. We did the cabin heat first it was the one looking the worst. When Chris removed the cable to put on the washers he noticed the stress cracking was in the clear coat on the instrument panel. He remounted it and it is much stiffer and now comes out perpendicular to the instrument panel. We will do the remaining two cables once we complete flying off the hours. We did an oil change at 10 Hours. The flap cable came off of one pulley, thank goodness it was on the ground. Corbin Welch who use to work at the Factory, and is now working for the Repair Facility at Clemson Airport got the cable put back on. The biggest problem we had was the tach did not show any RPM, it turned out the ground cable for the tach needed a 5K ohm resistor put in line.

Chris did an exceptional job! It flies very nicely. It’s straight & level, no rudder trim needed, flies straight and level. Climbs like a beast. It is about 10 mph slower than my old Kitfox. However, after I get some real stol landing practice it will land and T/Os virtually anywhere. I like the way it flies, and it doesn’t float down the runway on landings like my Kitfox did. If you need to land on a spot, and your proficient with the plane you will be capable of landing it.

Clark in AZ wrote:Nice vids, thanks for taking the time to post them. She sure looks good in flight! You're almost done 15 to go. Is it everything you thought it would be? Any problems?

Clark
Last edited by AV8R Paul on Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Michael, Thanks for posting the Web Address of the videos, I couldn’t figure out how to do it on my iPad. I could do it on my computer at home.
AV8R Paul

Return to “Just Aircraft”