AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Re: AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

Post by AV8R Paul »

I must admit the only thing I’m not pleased with on the plane are the seat covers. When I went to Travelers Rest to get the plane. The seat covers they looked great. By the time I flew the 40 hours off the storage bags were starting to unravel and coming off, and when I flew it today I noticed the stitching at the top of the seat is starting to unravel. They cut the material too close to the stitch seams and they didn’t zig zag stitch the material to keep the burlap from unraveling. I’ve ordered new seats with thicker foam on the bottom, and they will be leather. When I was at Oshkosh I stopped in the display booth and talked with Oregon Aero. I really liked the quality. The factory only makes 3 inch foam seats, Oregon aero will custom build the thickness you want. I threw two reams of printer paper on the seat pans, and found that that was the perfect height, which is 4 inches thick. Being a short man 5’ 7” since my scoliosis kicked in (when I was 20 I hit the towering height of 5’ 9”) I need a booster seat. I should be getting some new seats in October. I’ll post a picture when I get them.

Last week I went out to fly and it was raining and IFR aT the Airport, so I decided to build a GoPro Mount on the Pilots Side. I’ll need to take a picture of it. I can mount 2 cameras one facing forward, and one facing aft to the tail wheel. I need to go test it and post some pictures once I get my GoPro synced with my I phone to activate the camera. I hate apple updates, be damned it would work after the IOS update.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Anyone going (Hugh?) to the Texas STOL Flyin in Hondo, Tejas? If the weather holds I plan on attending.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I hope I’m feeling better tomorrow, if not I may need to stay home.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I went flying yesterday, I found a new Airpark called Vaca Moo. Carlos Rodriguez retired airforce has 60 with a Grass and dirt Airstrip, he is building three hangers to rent and a camping area for overnight stays. He is planning to subdivide 25 acres into lots for people to build homes or hanger homes. The photo is with the plane sitting on the strip. It was a glorious day to go flying. If you go to Vaca Moo Airport on Facebook there is a short flyby video. I can’t figure out how to attach it. I may put it on You Tube.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

When I was flying off my time, I would stop at Greenville Downtown Airport to go have lunch. One of the Controllers in the Tower was taking photos, I found these on an Aviation Photos Web site.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I added a short video to my You Tube videos search for SuperSTOL XL Purple Haze - Vaca Moo Airpark. It’s just a short fly by video.
AV8R Paul
GreggC

Post by GreggC »

Hey Paul,
Can you tell us the fuel burn with that Titan ??
What was your zero fuel weight ??
Gregg
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

The Titan sucks a lot of fuel, I see 6.5 to 8.0 Gallons per hour. Which mean I have about 3.0 hours of Flight before I have to fill up.
Since, I've had my Prostrate removed, 2 to 2.5 hours is plenty, I need to stop long before I get to 3 hours.
AV8R Paul
GreggC

Post by GreggC »

AV8R Paul wrote:The Titan sucks a lot of fuel, I see 6.5 to 8.0 Gallons per hour. Which mean I have about 3.0 hours of Flight before I have to fill up.
Since, I've had my Prostrate removed, 2 to 2.5 hours is plenty, I need to stop long before I get to 3 hours.
Agreed,
2 hour or so legs will be perfect.
Thanks for the info.
Gregg
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Paul, now that you have some time in your SS I'm curious how you feel about it compared to your Kitfox?

I don't mean to cause any debate over which is better, etc, just curious how you feel now that you are experienced with yours.

Btw, I just love your paint scheme. That thing rocks!
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

av8rps wrote:Paul, now that you have some time in your SS I'm curious how you feel about it compared to your Kitfox?

I don't mean to cause any debate over which is better, etc, just curious how you feel now that you are experienced with yours.

Btw, I just love your paint scheme. That thing rocks!
Thanks for the compliment on the paint scheme, I really liked the scheme, and I picked Plum Crazy Purple, because I’m tired of Red, Blue, Yellow and Greem (M&M colors). I found out M&M does make a Purple. I’m thinking of buying some and taking them with me when I go to Oshkosh next time. Hopefully, I’ll get to go in 2019.

I personally feel it is a much better plane. Real Flaps perform better than Flaperons, my cruise is about 95 to 98 indicated, on my Kitfox the best indicated I ever saw was 102 to 103 indicated, normally about 99 to 100 indicated, no big difference. I really like the 180 HP Titan, a lot better than the 100 HP Rotax, which in reality is about 90. I really like the baggage compartment, much more capacity. I like the moveable seats. I love the landing gear, you can’t screw up a landing. I got to pick my paint scheme. I can load up the baggage compartment and fly it without having to use maximum trim. If I loaded the Kitfox up, I always felt I needed more trim to get the tail up. In the Kitfox, I usually moved my tool bag to the floor boards in front of the passenger seat, and I would put heavy items in the passenger seat. Hands down I would recommend a Just Aircraft. The biggest advantage it is not a SLSA, and I don’t need to work with the factory, in an attempt to get an approval to make a change, after encountering an issue. I would never recommend buying a factory built Special Light Sport Aircraft after my experience with my Kitfox. I was contemplating converting it to an ELSA to get around my issues. I’m pleased I decided to sell it, and move on. The only issue, it cost Quite a bit more, but you get what you pay for.

If you want to talk send me a PM.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

One other observation. I probably should have gone with a Highlander versus a SuperSTOL, the Highlander would perform as good as I need. The flat lands of Texas don’t really require a high performance STOL Aircraft. However, having worked at Texas Instruments and Raytheon for 40 years, as a Mechanical Engineer & a Systems Engineer. One of my favorite programs was The AGM-88 HARM (High-speed Anti-radiation Missile) is a tactical, air-to-surface anti-radiation missile designed to home in on electronic transmissions coming from surface-to-air radar systems. I get a real kick out of Mechanical Designs, and the SuperSTOL has some really neat mechanical features: Slats, Spoilers, & its Landing Gear. And I concur with the flight line crew member, thumbs up!
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

The up sides to the Kitfox. The Door design was much nicer relative to fit and finish, the SuperSTOL door are so so. However, I have the welded doors with the opening upper window, I definitely give about 1 Million thumbs up to the opening window. The Bubble doors in the Kitfox are nice, but in 100+ summer days they tended to restrict much flying. The vents in my old Kitfox didn’t allow for much airflow. I’d go flying in the morning or not at all. Zero airflow with the doors on. I know you can remove the doors, but I never did.

Also, the fit and finish of the cowling to boot cowl was done much better. However, I added kick panel windows so I can see forward while taxiing.
AV8R Paul
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

I can't tell you where I bought these vents but I can say they work very well on those 100 degree days around Houston in my Highlander.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

alan wrote:I can't tell you where I bought these vents but I can say they work very well on those 100 degree days around Houston in my Highlander.

Alan
That is true but on the Kitfox I had two fish eye vents on the instrument panel, with NACA inlets on the boot cowl. They were so bad, I never worried about closing them during the winter. They were useless. I had asked the Owner of Kitfox if I could change to those he said no. Since it is a SLSA, he has the power to tell you NO. You need to get the approval of the Maufacturer to make ANY changes to an SLSA, and John was not willing to allow any changes to his SLSAs. He would never approve, or send you an approval for anything.

Those would have worked 100% better, than the fish eye. I finally got a 1inch Velcro strap, wrapped it around the elbow cross bar and the lift hinge, then I could crack the door open in flight to get some airflow. I was contemplating using those.

On the SuperSTOL, I have windows that open in flight. 1 Million Times better.

On a SuperSTOL the location you have your vents doesn’t work, That is where I installed mine. The landing gear mount doesn’t allow ANY AIR IN. You would need to put some at the bottom of the door because of the landing gear.
AV8R Paul

Return to “Just Aircraft”