AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Re: AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

Post by AV8R Paul »

Well I’m back in Travelers Rest. Chris has completed covering on the bottom of one wing, and both ailerons. I forgot to take a picture of the wing. Today we applied the glue to one of the flaps. Tomorrow the plan is to cover the top of the first wing, and possibly cover one wing.

Also, Chris has completed clear coating the instrument panel, and installed the G5, G3X Touch, the com Radio, the switches, and circuit breakers, labels, etc

Here are a few pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

That looks great Paul. Awesome to see them light up! Hope the covering goes well...

What is the height of your panel in the center and at the edges?

Thanks,

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Well we completed cover the top of the wing, one down. We still have to do the tapes on the first wing, Chris wants to hold off and do all of tapes at one time. We cut the Oratex for both the top & bottom of the second wing. Chris had completed squirting some paint. Here are some photos.

Both Chris and I thought working with the Oratex was pretty easy. I had purchase seconds and there’s are some flaws in the material, but all in all two thumbs up. I liked it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

That's going to be really nice. Love the color.

Clark
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Clark in AZ wrote:That's going to be really nice. Love the color.

Clark
Thanks, it’s Plum Crazy Purple. I wanted something besides Yellow, Blue, or Red.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I started to put an Airspeed & Altimiter, but the G5 cost about the same, weights about the same as the Airspeed, and is effectively a 6 Pack of Gauges.
Clark in AZ wrote:That looks great Paul. Awesome to see them light up! Hope the covering goes well...

Thanks,

Clark
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Clark in AZ wrote:That looks great Paul. Awesome to see them light up! Hope the covering goes well...

Thanks,

Clark
I forgot to measure it. I’ll check the dimensions when I get back to Dallas. I copied the outside shape for the panel from one Chris had built with a G3X and steam gauges.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Chris Wallen posted this on his Facebook Page, Chris Wallen LLC. “Have been very pleased with Oratex so far. Easy to work with and pretty forgiving. Also helps it is already painted!”

I just got back from Chris’ late Friday evening 04/27/2018, we had finished putting the Oratex on the top of one wing, and 90% of the cover on one flap, and cut the Oratex material all cut and ready to go for install. I’ve commented how fast he builds a plane, and today he post a video showing the completion of the second wing. Wow, he works fast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSWTiCA ... ture=share
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I received a message from Chris stating, “Have all the wings,flaps, and ailerons covered and riveted. I put tapes on the bottom of one wing before quitting to get ready to go to Nebraska.” Chris made excellent progress completing one wing, the second flap, and the part of one flap we didn’t complete after I left last Friday.

It is really neat, when you get done covering and it looks like your Done! No UV Protection Coats, No Sanding, No Primer Coats, No Sanding, and paint only if you want an accent color.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I have been extremely busy, I finally remember to get the dimensions of the panel. This was the fixture I made to hold the panel off of the table top so I could drape the fabric. I should have made a female mold.

Thanks,

Clark
AV8R Paul
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Excellent Paul! Thanks for that. I also get the "busy" part! You guys are really moving along.

So, does Chris fly the plane for the first time when it's ready, to get the Airworthiness Cert.? Then do you fly off the 40 hours? I'm not sure how all of that works???

Clark
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Clark,
Right now 357TX is in the capable hands of Chris Wallen. We worked together to get the first wing covered and a flap, then I drove back in the Dallas Area. Shortly after I left they headed to Nebraska to introduce his daughter Avery to his parents/her grandparents. He got back last Wednesday and finished up both wings, & flaps, tapes etc. I’ll be driving up to Tennessee to get some in Type & Model training in a SuperSTOL with Corey, the last week of May. I may drive over to Travelers Rest after training with Corey to see how far Chris has gotten with the fushelage covering. Then the Second week of June I need to be in Dirty SA aka San Antonio to go to the Texas Republican Convention, I’m running for a Committeeman position on the Texas Republican Party so I need to be there. I’ll also get to visit with my sister Diane.

I am not sure, I was planning on having Frank the former Factory Pilot do the first flight, but he got a full time gig flying for a commuter airline or something. Chris said he would see if Harrison Smith could fly off the first flight, then I’ll go fly off the remainder of the 40 hours. I’m also going to send a message to Harrison to see if he could help out. Once the DAR signs off the plane, you do the first Test Flight & then fly off the box. The first year insurance is high $. Once you fly 50 hours the rates tend to drop off. It is what it is for the insurance rates, I’ll own a plane, and I’ll need insurance.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I need to start getting psyched up for flying off 40 hours.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Here is a photo of the bottom of the Fuselage, and some of the Parts.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Some more Progress.
AV8R Paul

Return to “Just Aircraft”