Highlander 393

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Re: Highlander 393

Post by AV8R Paul »

[/quote]
Ditto.
I had trouble getting the top (short) side of the light base to lay flat even when clecoed. Putting a little weight (paint cans) on made them lay flat and dry with no gap.[/quote]

I usually use duct tape to strap things together, versus using weights. Then I don't have a problem with it moving while we are waiting for it to cure.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Gaps are not a big deal as long as you can sand to contour the final shape you like. The smoother you sand the transition between the wing tip and light mount the easier it is to add the fiberglass tape and not end up with an eneven transition. The Superfill will be your friend, it fills the weave and sands easy as long as it’s completely dry.

Thanks for adding the link...I thought I posted something at one point but couldn’t remember.

Gary
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Well, The Oratex package came today! Since the shelf life on the Hot Melt glue is 3 months, It puts a urgency on finishing the wings. I bought just enough Hot melt glue for the wings and tail feathers. I'll list my lessons learned as does BDA. Our problem here is that we are having a very cold spring in Ohio. Oh well. :shock:

Cheers,
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Hi All, I’m just starting to varnish my wings. I’m using 2 part West System. I usually use it as a glue with micro fibers to make it into a past. But as is, it is good varnish and really thick. I’m thinking just 1 coat and hitting the edge grain a second time. Any thoughts? On my One Design DR-107 I just used 1 coat (as was called for).

With Oratex we coat the top of the cap strips as well. I just want to keep her light.

Cheers,
Bruce
Builder web site:
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Another Question. I'm using Evercoat Z-Grip light weight Body filler (as does Jak.) For those with Highlanders, how much filler did you use on the front strut bracket and all of those rivets? It looks like it will take a lot of filler. I"m using Oratex. Just wondering how you all handled it?

Thanks in advance!
Bruce
Builder web site:
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

I used very little filler. Stewarts Systems was really was easy to iron the fabric to conform to the rivets. I didn't mind seeing the bracket.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Bruce,
I used Super Fill to smooth this area out. It took 4 or 5 coats to blend it in. The total length to blend it in was about 18-20" or so. If you go this route be very careful to not over sand the metal spar. You can be more aggressive on the super fill but were it transitions to the metal I used 300 grit. even with that smooth grit I still taped off all areas of the spar to not over sand. I only did it for cosmetic reasons.

Gary
IMG_5193.JPG
IMG_5194.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Thanks gents!
Builder web site:
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Bruce, I don't know if you were planning on installing the leading edge cuff or not but if you are it looks like it may cover up most if not all of the Strut Bracket. After reading the comments here I went back to my photos and, as best as I can determine, the LE Cuff may cover most of the bracket up. At least on the front of the leading edge. If you have not been considering the LE Cuff I would give it another look. Steve says it was the single most valuable mod he has made and suggests that everyone install it on their Highlander. I believe Steve sells them. Go to his web site at WildWestAircraft dot com. I believe his phone number is there. Wish I could post an image directly from my hard drive. Joe B
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

M2T :D
Now this is funny. As I was looking at the Strut brackets, and thinking of the fill, the Leading Edge Cuffs were sitting behind me in their box. WOW,

I returned to work today at AAL. I think after being off for 3 months, I was trying to do too much in the last few days off. I'll be home on Friday for 5 days. Since it will finally be above 50 degrees in OH. I'll address the cuffs next before any more fill.

Thanks,
Bruce
Builder web site:
barry767
Seasoned Member

Post by barry767 »

Bruce, The LEC will completely cover the forward wing strut attach bracket, so don’t spend any time making it look smooth. It’s best installed during the build stage but can be easily installed after the plane is finished, like I did. You will make a cutout in the fiberglass so that the cuff fits over the bracket and sits flush on the leading edge spar along the length of the wing and you will do it in two sections per wing. The attached picture shows one of the sections taped roughly into position while I was getting the cutout done for the attach bracket. Once everything fits right and is at the proper angle, you simply attach it permanently with a caulking product. I then applied a 5 inch tall length of vinyl that was close to the same color as my airplane along the entire length of the wing to finish the job. Steve Henry was, as always, a great source of information when I had any questions about what I was doing. Bottom line, it came out great, thanks to him.

The first time I took off with them installed I remember thinking, this is nuts! The airplane already climbed extremely well without them, but now the climb rate and angle is simply ridiculous. Also there is no appreciable reduction in top speed (I cruise around 90 to 95 mph at 5200 rpm with a Kiev prop that’s pitched toward high rpm side for better takeoff performance). Another benefit seems to be that the airplane has more forward penetration and less drag so I have to plan my descent and landings accordingly. In fact the airplane flys so slow so nicely now that I no longer land with flaps extended at all, so I don’t have to do that awkward flaps up maneuver upon touching down that I used to do. I use flaps 1 for takeoff and then inflight only as speedbrakes in the descend as necessary prior to landing. Absolutely the best mod you can do to your Highlander! Highly recommend it and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
barry767
Seasoned Member

Post by barry767 »

Picture too big to upload. Anyone know how to reduce the size of pictures on an Ipad so they can be uploaded?
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

no worries, i've got it!
Thanks,
Cheers,
Bruce
Builder web site:
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

If you have an IPhone you can mail it to yourself and when you attach it it give you 4 options for the size of the file. Once you receive the message you can save the new photo. Every operating system is different.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

barry767 wrote:Anyone know how to reduce the size of pictures on an Ipad so they can be uploaded?
Try downloading "Image Size" from the App Store. It's Free, and it gets excellent reviews. I've only used it once (I generally take photos with my Android phone), but it did a good job of resizing.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

Return to “Just Aircraft”