Highlander Engine Options?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
mikepliske

Highlander Engine Options?

Post by mikepliske »

First, what is the weight limitation on the Highlander?

Interested in squeezing in max HP....so, the Yamaha Apex (150hp) is intriguing...
Also, the Viking Honda conversions....

Any experience/information on these (others?) engines would be helpful.

Thanks,
Mike
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Highlander Engine Options?

Post by danerazz »

I was told (in 2011 when I was researching what I wanted to do) by the factory that on the standard highlanders (not the “stretched” fuselage SS) the target was “less than 200 lbs. My engine is about 220, which I was told would be okay. There are a few highlanders out there with O-200s on them that probably weigh about the same.

Right now I think the Apex has the most interesting power/weight/cost numbers.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

I don't know if anyone has put an Aeromomentum (Suzuki) on a Highlander or SuperSTOL yet, but (at least on paper) looks like a pretty good option. http://www.aeromomentum.com/am15.html
Super Stol Kit #299
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

I think a lot of these newer engine options (like the Yamaha, etc) with all the extra power they make is pretty cool. But I have to say the Rotax 912s is an awesome combination on the Highlander. Yeah, I know that is almost boring compared to some of that more recent exotic stuff out there. But if you have't flown a Highlander yet, if you do fly one with the 912s I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the superb performance. Especially if you keep the Highlander light. I've not found a stock SuperCub yet that can outperform my "stock" 912s Highlander. And I can put a Zipper Kit or a fuel injection / turbo kit on my stock 912 and easily increase my horsepower with very minimal gain in weight.

I do understand the attraction to some of the other options, but just felt it was worth reminding everyone about how well the "stock 912" Highlander really does work. And it is certainly well proven.

Return to “Just Aircraft”