Super stol wings

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
DeanBrister

Super stol wings

Post by DeanBrister »

Has any one installed super stol wings on their Highlander? What modifications does it take ? and if so what were the results? Thanks
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Re: Super stol wings

Post by SuperFly »

Dean,

There have been a couple of them built. Im pretty sure Billy Payne did one of them. I am not aware of how it performed, but I think it would be hard to get the most out of the wing without the gear. They fit fine, theres no difference in the spar spacing as far as mounting.
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Troy Woodland told me once when I was entertaining converting my Highlander to a Super STOLthat he would put the gear on before the wing, as the Highlander wing does a pretty amazing job. That surprised me somewhat, but after thinking about it I could see where he was coming from. The Highlander wing is essentially a Dean Wilson designed Avid Flyer airfoil, and the early, light Avids would fly in the low 20 mph range. Stalls were a whole 22 mph. I put a couple thousand hours on early Avid Flyers and can testify to those numbers. They had pretty amazing performance.

The guy to follow on this subject would be Steve Henry of Wild West Aircraft as he's now flying a highly modified Highlander and has stated here on this forum that it is very close to a Super STOL for STOL performance, but cruises faster and will haul more because it's considerably lighter. Ironically, one of the mods he's done to his Highlander is the addition of a Beringer gear, which is similar in capability to a Super STOL's but bolts on to the standard Highlander fuselage fittings. Not sure if the suspension travel is as long as the SS, but it appears to have much more travel than the standard Just Aircraft extreme gear.

I love the Super STOL, and actually was the person to help inspire Troy to build it. But I still prefer the Highlander for a bunch of reasons. Taking another 100 ft to land my stock Highlander over a SS has never been an issue for me. Oh, and Steve says he's got his Highlander down to only 10% more, so what is that, 10 ft? 5ft? And he takes off shorter. But hey, to each his own. They are both incredible aircraft.
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Forgot to mention, I would suggest to read from the beginning "Wild West Aircraft" thread a few below this one to learn all about the things Steve has done to his latest Highlander, and what his results were. .

Return to “Just Aircraft”