EAA Airventure 2018

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

EAA Airventure 2018

Post by AV8R Paul »

Who is planning on attending? Hopefully my SuperSTOL XL will be ready to fly. What is planned?
I’ve reserved a room at the the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh.
Does someone have a campsite we can have a meet & greet?
I’d be willing to kick in some beer, chips, hamburgers, & hot dogs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
BDA
Veteran Member

Re: EAA Airventure 2018

Post by BDA »

I am hoping to be there
too far to bring the plane but would love to meet everyone.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

BDA wrote:I am hoping to be there
too far to bring the plane but would love to meet everyone.
Looking forward to meeting you.
AV8R Paul
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

As always, I can’t get confirmed time off but always seem to be able to get a few days last-minute...so...I’ll say a definite maybe.

I hope to have the plane flying this year but having it ready for OSH is highly doubtful. Here’s to flying it up in 2019!
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

There is typically a Just builders/enthusiasts/pilots gathering at the SOS brothers beer tent. It has been in the past on Tuesday evening. Several years ago it was on Wednesday evening, but they now have the night airshow on Wednesday.
It is a good time, and usually good attendance. It is very informal. Beer in the tent, along with good food and usually live music. Plus, the bartenders are not difficult to look at.
Id say I usually plan it, but there really isnt any planning. It amounts to picking a date, and posting it. Thats about it. The tough part is, some people are there early in the week, some are there at the end of the week. Plus, add in the now STOL competiton at the Ultralight field, there arent any great nights to have it. Id attend if people want to do it again, last year we just kind of hung around the Just tent during/after the STOL event.
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Ben, I have added Tuesday evening at SOS Brothers Beer Tent, and I can understand the attraction! I plan on hanging around at the Just Aircraft display, and hopefully you will see my plane nearby. I plan on being there all week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

As Ben mentioned, the STOL competition blew all plans for last year. The STOL competition went till way after dark. I don't even know how those guys competed so late. The lighting was poor but the crowd stuck it out. it couldn't have been very fair for the competitors. Hopefully they can schedule it earlier this year. It was a very popular event. My only complaint was the way they staged the aircraft. They landed and looped around in front of the spectators and made it very difficult to see the landing area. As for a gathering. The Just booth would be fine if we cold get some beer and food out there. Anyone heard if they modified the schedule for this year to move the STOL competition earlier in the day. The SOS tent worked out well in the past. If they moved the STOL competition up it cold work out again. Joe B
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I’m going to be there, I’m in the stol competition again. None of us liked it being just before dark but that’s when they’re doing it again this year on Monday Tuesday Thursday and Friday evenings.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

The STOL competition was very frustrating last year. They staged the aircraft along the spectator fence side which blocked the landing and take off area. Once it got dark it was impossible to see anything at all. I went to the East end of the runway to see if I could see anything from there but it was so dark it was impossible. It would help if they could start it sooner in the afternoon. Scheduling it every evening but Wednesday sounds like a real commitment from the pilots that will be flying. How can it be fair to the pilots that get to fly before it gets dark. Anyone know who to talk to to see if they can plan the staging of the pilots on the far side of the field? Steve, perhaps you can make a suggestion in the pilots meeting for the competitors? This competition was a blast and had a huge attendance the first year when they held it on the main runway. Anyone know why they moved it? There were thousands of people there to see the STOL completiiton that year. Joe B
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

I heard that some people gathered at the Just tent prior to the competition last year. I was right there alongside the grass flying field and did't notice a gathering there but that would be the ideal place to host a get together assuming they actually compete the STOL competition all four evenings. Some food and beverage would be awesome. Billy seems to have access with his truck each year. Maybe we could coordinate with him to get some party supplies out to the Just Booth Area Tuesday evening. I would volunteer to run and drive but I hope to fly in to Oshkosh this year myself for the first time. Tried last year but turned home when the head winds were above 40 mph. I am praying for better weather this year. Joe B
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I’ll be there, hopefully in my SuperSTOL XL with a Titan 180HP. If you see me standing next to a Plum Crazy Purple & Silver SuperSTOL XL, stop by and say hello. I’ll probably be parked in the Ultralight Aircraft Parking. I’m hoping to go to Travelers Rest at the end of April to start helping Chris Wallen with the covering.
AV8R Paul
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Joe I thought it was a better show for many more people to see on the main runway too. I will definitely see if there’s anything I can do to keep us on the other side of the grass runway when staging but it’s doubtful. There are some things that they give us stol competition pilots some leeway on how we do things and there are some parts of it that they don’t give us any leeway at all. The length of time that we have and the time of day that the competition is run is one of those things that we have no say at all in the matter. When it’s part of “the show” you can’t believe how right down to the minute their schedule is throughout the entire show!

For the powers that be it’s all about the whole show and they think it needs to go immediately from one thing to the next to the next and that puts us right up to dark which really does suck.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
wln

Post by wln »

Please post pics of any new aircraft!
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

A build in progress
AV8R Paul
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I wish I had a shop big enough to put both wings on, I can’t even put both wings on a stand!
Dane

Paralysis by analysis

Return to “Just Aircraft”