Just 103

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Re: Just 103

Post by BucF16 »

Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

The Dan Johnson article in more informative about the 103s future. There is suggestion that Just will eliminate the tail boom and go to a truss. ?? They say that it is over weight at the moment, but it will come down. Oratex 600 could be of help as well with that. It does look like it would be fun to fly ( 75 degree day no wind) :shock:

Bruce
Builder web site:
bluemax
Veteran Member

Re: Just 103 - NOW FLYING !

Post by bluemax »

Hey I just found this on You Tube .......posted about an hour ago.

https://youtu.be/luSHaN_BGPY
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

What’s that gray and white striped thing he’s rolling on during takeoff?
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

danerazz wrote:What’s that gray and white striped thing he’s rolling on during takeoff?
I watched it again… I cannot see what you were talking about? What was the time on the video when you saw it?
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Hey Max, I think he’s referring to “concrete runway “. With those little tires.... if I get a 103 I’ll fatten it up with turf tires :D :D
Builder web site:
brandonschmit

Post by brandonschmit »

Here's another video that contains a lot of footage of the new Just 103 from Sun n Fun. Just 103 starts at about 1 minute into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP4TssTFCnI

Brandon
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Clark,
That is a good idea! I can’t imagine what a 6 inch diameter tube would cost. However, I’m sure it would add a little cost to the kit, but it would be light weight and strong.

Paul
Clark in AZ wrote:
AV8R Paul wrote:In talking with Troy at the factory, I don’t believe the Tail Boom will be the Aluminum tube. Troy voiced a concer with the cost of the Tube. I wonder if he will offer it as an option.
I'm sure the cost would be crazy, but the boom should be carbon fiber. ;)

Clark
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

I'm guessing you could save between 15 to 20 lbs vs Aluminum. A lot more if it is steel.

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
robngcs

Post by robngcs »

Does anyone have any updates on the Just 103? Anyone do any factory tours and see what's going on with it? I/we can only assume Just is continuing to work on the project since it's on their website.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

It was sitting out in the aircraft parking area at the factory a few weeks ago. Troy gave me a tour, and I tried it on. It's slick, and it looked like it would be outrageously fun... but after I finish the Highlander.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
robngcs

Post by robngcs »

Thanks for the reply. Did Troy do away with the boom tube for a welded structure? How tall of a pilot do you think can fit in it comfortably? I’m 6’6” hence the question. The 103 design with feet outside appears to be the only ultralight I would be able to get in/out of with minimal grace. Do you know if the wings fold on it?

My dream would be a highlander build especially because of my height. With young kids I realized that doing a build of that magnitude would not be ideal for me. The 103 would be perfect to get me back in the air since finishing my ppl years ago.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

I think the best idea is to call the factory and talk to Troy. I'm not qualified to do much more than guess, and he knows.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

robngcs wrote:Thanks for the reply. Did Troy do away with the boom tube for a welded structure? How tall of a pilot do you think can fit in it comfortably? I’m 6’6” hence the question. The 103 design with feet outside appears to be the only ultralight I would be able to get in/out of with minimal grace. Do you know if the wings fold on it?

My dream would be a highlander build especially because of my height. With young kids I realized that doing a build of that magnitude would not be ideal for me. The 103 would be perfect to get me back in the air since finishing my ppl years ago.
I’ve been told that it is still on. Also with a new engine. I’m not at liberty to say at the moment. BUT I will own one. But not the first. Never fly the “A” model of anything!

Yes the wings fold
Builder web site:
robngcs

Post by robngcs »

Thanks for some information. I get that Just is busy with the highlander & superstol builds which is great but there is still a lot of us interested in the 103. I wish they would put out updates.
To anyone working at Just that comes across this thread, I got 20k sitting in a bank account, just saying...

Return to “Just Aircraft”