Turbulator Tape & Gap Seal Tape

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Turbulator Tape & Gap Seal Tape

Post by FredHoffman »

Sealed the wings to fuselage gap with sailplane gap seal tape today. I used to fly sailplanes and always tapped up this gap, the drag from high pressure air there really killed the glide maybe like 20%. Curious to see if I notice a difference on the Highlander.
IMG_0419.jpg
Also experimenting with turbulator zig-zag tape. Going to try this first if not much change small vortex generators for the flaps will be next.
IMG_0416.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BDA
Veteran Member

Re: Turbulator Tape & Gap Seal Tape

Post by BDA »

Excited to see your results!
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

Flew the plane with just the wing gap tapes. I feel that it floats a little on landing now. Might mean I should try to land slower next. Took off the zig zag as they didn't want to lay flat on the curve of the flaps. I think they make thinner more flexible zig zag tape that might work better.
Coltin.b

Post by Coltin.b »

Fred,

I work on some of the "slow" military airplanes and we have the turbulator tape down the underside of the whole wing, just forward of the flight controls surfaces. I have been wanting to experiment with this on my highlander but just haven't got around to it yet. From what I understand its a big thing in the glider world. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

-Coltin
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

I had planned on putting the tape just ahead of the ailerons on the underside of the wing too, but the aileron leading edge drops well below the wing at full up. I think it may be best on the bottom leading edge of the aileron as this will be in the the breeze the most. Wings and wheels has many different sizes and thicknesses on their website. I had initially selected the thickest tape to get the best vortex going but I'll have to go thinner to conform with the aileron/flap curve.
ls6pj

Post by ls6pj »

These turbulator tapes are certainly a big hype in the gliding world, but...
Did i say hype ?
When the duo discus came on he market, a professor in aerodynamics mesured the performance of one in flight, then removed all the turbulator tapes.
No measurable difference, but the tapes cost 2000 $.
Just the cost should prompt you to approach this intelligently. The idea behind these tapes is that they are positioned in the laminar flow, just ahead of a zone of stagnant boundary layer. The tape will create tiny votexes which should re-energise the boundary layer and clear or reduce the stangant zone.
Positioning is all the difference between some good, or a lot of work and cost for nothing.
So using tufts is a good way to find out where trouble can be prevented.
But here's another question
Is the surface of your aircraft so good that this thinnish tape will be able to still sit in some energised flow ? Why are the vortex generators in the kit so big....to sit in the energised flow.
And why are those tapes almost exclusively seen in the gliding world ? Surely boeing would use them if they could save 1% in fuel
Paul Janssens
Superstol
PH-LPJ

vinon sur verdon
France
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Fred,
Any more test results to report? On the gap tape?
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

Never flew with the turbulator tape. The tape I used was too stiff to conform to the flaps curve and I thought it would do more harm than good. I think the wing root gap seals helped, but have no data to back it up. I will always keep the wing root gap seals on now though. I hope to make tiny vortex generators for the leading edge of the flaps, maybe this spring.

I have about 100 hours on the plane now, and I am shocked at how well it fly's as is. Using the back side of the power curve with a little engine power as you get close to the ground it fly's very slow. Landing within and stopping within 300' of my intended touchdown spot is standard now even with 2 onboard without being scary. I am beginning to realize it would take a lot of modification effort to get small improvements.

Steady state ....... 24mph, 1100fpm ! 22 degrees pitch ! The performance is there ! Just takes a crazier pilot to land like that!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Just Aircraft”