Swage Tool for Stainless?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Swage Tool for Stainless?

Post by Clark in AZ »

Ok, I've researched here and elsewhere for a swaging tool to do my stainless cables. So, I thought I would check to see the latest ideas on what folks are using for swaging STAINLESS cables AND STAINLESS sleeves? I'm getting ready to make my flying wires (SuperSTOL) and want to see what the current tool of choice is?

Thanks!
Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Swage Tool for Stainless?

Post by danerazz »

SS sleeves is gross overkill in my opinion. Usually on SS cables you use zinc plated copper.

If you want SS sleeves then you will be into considerable tool expense (and headach for the cables that must be made “in place” due to tool size) for insignificant gains.

Why do you want to use SS sleeves?
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Yeah, after reading about this much more, I'll just opt for the regular sleeves vs the stainless. You're correct about the expense of the correct tool to do stainless sleeves. I was just thinking it would be nice to have all stainless... but not worth it in end.

Thanks for the reply,
Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Clark,

For Stainless Steel Cables you should be using the tin plated sleeves. The below is from the overview section. Just supplied the zinc plated ones with the kit.

Take care
Gary

Oval shaped copper sleeves used in making eye or lap splices in flexible cable. Sleeves are slipped over the two strands of cable to be fastened and are then compressed with special Nicropress hand squeezers. Provides a bond that is even stronger than a standard splice. Plain copper and zinc coated sleeves are used with galvanized cable, and tin coated sleeves are to be used with stainless steel cable.
FD974187-E87B-47D2-9AA0-E32FF5B95CBB.png
282DA8C2-DA76-4EFA-A58B-12B6DD3BB66A.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Clark I have both the economy and the $300 dollar swaging tool. For the tail feather cables, I preferred to swage the first end with the high $ tool ( tool in a vise ) and used the economy tool to hold and then swage the final end while on the aircraft. By doing so, I didn't need that third hand God didn't give me. Here is a link from EAA videos that may help. Remember to leave a little space between the sleeve and the thimble setup. If you don't, as the sleeve expands it will bind and cause the set up to be crooked.

http://www.eaavideo.org/search?q=nicopress

Cheers Bruce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

I used the expensive swage tool too. I found this to be one of the most difficult parts of the build.
GreggC

Post by GreggC »

What is the larges cable used on the Super STOL XL ??
Will the #2 economy tool cover all cables on the XL ??
Also,
Is it normal practice to use two swages per end ??
Gregg
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Gregg, Here is s pix of a SS tail wire:
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com

Return to “Just Aircraft”