Gear Drag

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Re: Gear Drag

Post by Tralika »

I've attached a photo of Steve Henry's Yee Haw 6 from a post he made on the Wild West Aircraft thread last March. You can see he has covered the gear legs but it's hard to tell what material was used. It could be carbon fiber. The trailing edge is streamlined but not the leading edge. Streamlining the leading edge would not decrease drag much since most of the drag comes from the trailing edge. Something I hadn't noticed until today is the gear is only attached to the airframe by the front and rear attach points. The Highlander heavy duty gear has three attach points so this must be yet another mod that Steve is trying. I'm hoping he will be at the Copper State Flyin this weekend, I'd like to ask him about it. In a post from last January he mentions that Shock Monster has started making Highlander gear legs. That might be what is seen the the photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

That's the Beringer gear Steve tried. Now he's running Shock Monster main gear.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

TK's Shock Monster main landing gear give his Highlander the same 3 point sitting angle as the Beringer. That is critical for that early takeoff opportunity.

Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Hmmm? I know little to nothing about the Shock Monster gear. Where do I go learn more? Can anyone here relate their experience with it vs the factory gear? How much taller is it?
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

This is Tony’s web site:

https://store.tk1racing.com/Default.asp

I only see the shocks listed. You’ll have to call Tony or Steve about the gear legs.

There is a picture of Colton Brown’s Highlander sitting deside a Super STOL, on the tacked picture thread. His has Beringer gear. It sits at a noticeably higher angle.

Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I thought those just used the highlander “extreme” gear legs and only replaced the bungee struts...
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

The Shock Monster struts are made to bolt on to the Highlander factory Extreme gear. Apparently the company is making landing gear for the Highlander that has the same dimensions but built with heavier material. All I know about it is what Steve Henry wrote in his post last year.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Tony built adjustable jigs. You can decide variables such as leg angle, track width, and height, and Tony builds the legs, V-brace, and struts to your specification. One easy way to order is to tell him "just give me what Steve Henry uses". Or call Steve and he'll get it done for you.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Yes I use Tony's products and I like them and believe in them enough that I'm a dealer for them. Please do call me if you are thinking about suspension, tailwheels or any performance enhancing mods for a Highlander. Of course I would be very happy to talk to anyone cosidering getting any Just Aircraft kit.
Steve Henry 208-880-7887
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)

Return to “Just Aircraft”