Utility wheel for the mains

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
mnwinger
Forum Regular

Utility wheel for the mains

Post by mnwinger »

Hey group. Wondering if anyone knows where I could find some small utility wheels with 1.25" bearings that will fit my Highlander axles. Would like to use them for moving my plane around during the final stages of my build.

Matt
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: Utility wheel for the mains

Post by SheepdogRD »

We've had good luck with these wheel dollies.
20181115_160658.jpg
They work with wheels on or off. When the wheels are off, I slide a 2x4 with a hole drilled in it onto the axle, and rest that on the dolly.

I found our heavy duty aluminum dollies in a neighborhood garage sale for $50, and they've been well worth it. But check your local Craigslist; there's a listing in Atlanta, for instance, offering 6 dollies for $50.

They're available at Walmart, Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, auto parts stores, etc.

For the tailwheel, I repurposed an office chair base by bolting on a couple pieces of angle. It works fine around the shop, and raises the tail to flight attitude when needed.
20181115_162820.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
mnwinger
Forum Regular

Post by mnwinger »

Thanks Richard. I can use my snowmobile dollies for moving it around the garage. Didn't consider that. But I'm looking for some small utility wheels that I can use to move it over my gravel driveway between my garage and pole building. Could get my 29" bush wheels now and use those but want to keep it low so it's easier to work on.

Matt
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

McMaster-Carr has them but pretty spendy, $72 each.

https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-wheels

The Just axles are hollow so you might be able to come up with smaller utility wheel axle the would fit inside the axle on the plane. If you have access to a lathe it would be pretty easy to make a pair. There are lots of inexpensive wheels available for the smaller diameter axles.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon

Return to “Just Aircraft”