Stick not centered/ Aileron rigging

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Sloney

Stick not centered/ Aileron rigging

Post by Sloney »

Hello Everyone,
Nube here. New Highlander #129 Owner.
On test flights, I noticed the stick wasnt centered and the aircraft slow banked left. During cruise, she flew mainly hands off but the stick off center to the left about a grip width. We tried a little wash out and adjusted the turnbuckles the little adjustment that is left. All the turnbuckles appear to be adjusted all the way in. Cables have a lot more slack than any aircraft ive come across. I was told its normal for the slack.

Any ideas on where to start? I'm new at this. See pics....won't let me upload the left side. There is a couple threads left..

Corey Slone
Waller, TX
281-433-2324 cell
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Re: Stick not centered/ Aileron rigging

Post by Tralika »

Corey,
You should be able to adjust the ailerons so the stick is centered. It looks like you have lots of adjustment left on your turnbuckles. The forks should go into the barrel a lot more than what I see in the photos. Also, it's a little hard to tell from the photos but it looks like the forks are not adjusted evenly in the barrel. When properly adjusted the forks should be penetrate the barrel evenly with no thread showing outside the barrel.

When I adjusted my aileron cables I started with everything loose and all the forks started into the barrels evenly with just one or two turns on the threads. I centered the control stick and secured it in place using a board and a couple of bungees. I centered the ailerons and secured them in place with a padded clamp on the outboard edge of each aileron connected the the trailing edge of each fiberglass wingtip. With everything secured in place it's just a matter of adjusting each turnbuckle until you have the correct tension. I stared with the up cables (the two cables on each side of the cabin) and finished with the single down cable (the one that goes across the top of the cabin). Be careful not to put too much tension on any one cable. They have to be adjusted evenly to keep the ailerons and control stick from pulling out of adjustment. When you turn the barrel of each turnbuckle its important to hold the forks on each side so that they thread into the barrel evenly. It's one of those jobs that takes three hands. I've posted a link to an EAA video that shows a tool that can be used to make it easier and also talks about the proper cable tension. I did not use either of the tools shown in the video but it will give you an idea of the technique.

This would be a good project to seek help from an EAA Tech Counselor or an A&P.
Good luck

https://video.eaa.org/detail/video/5617 ... urnbuckles
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
Jack L
Veteran Member

Post by Jack L »

Sloney,

I sold my Highlander a few years ago but have rigged a few.

Lock the stick in the neutral position, I use two #1 Phillips screwdrivers on each side of the stick pivot, the hole shown below the stick in the picture below;
Once locked in neutral check that both outboard aileron tips are aligned with the wing tips equally. If they are not you will have to rig the ailerons.

If you need to rig the ailerons loosen the turnbuckles;
Lock the stick in neutral;
Clamp the outboard ailerons to the wing tips using ratchet clamps and 1/4' pieces of plywood that cover the aileron tip to wing tip, you just want to secure the ailerons in a neutral position;
Adjust the turnbuckles so that the cables are just tight enough that they are not sloppy, if you over tighten you will feel and hear the cable grinding on the pulleys. Adjust so that everything is taught and not sloppy;
Once adjusted you can remove the locks and test the system.

Looking at your pictures you may have to replace or shorten some cables. You may be able to get away with using short or long turnbuckle components on your existing cables. The Aircraft Spruce link is here https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/a ... ey=3008983. Looking at your first picture you may have a short and long cable eye or it may be an optical illusion.

If you have any other questions I would be happy to call you to clarify.
IMG_2385.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jack L
Veteran Member

Post by Jack L »

John and I posted at the same time and he brought up a good point, your cable ends may not be adjusted equally and there is room for adjustment. You should be okay by just making the necessary adjustments.

Good luck
Sloney

Post by Sloney »

Thank Y’all so much for the help. This gives me good info to dig into it. Now if the airline job leaves me alone over the holiday! Not likely! Lol
Sloney

Post by Sloney »

I’m grateful to have a plane originally built by Steve D! I think it was his first one! So happy with the purchase!
Thanks again!
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

The first problem is you are holding an imaginary stick. Just kidding

The stick position and the bank are two different issues. First, you need to rig the ailerons level and the stick centered as described.

Second, you adjust the washout on the adjustable strut to get level flight. If for some reason you need more, you can tighten up a flap cable to slightly drop a flap and raise a wing.

As for a yaw mis-trim you will need to add a small tab to the rudder. It does not have to be very large at all to be effective.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Sloney

Post by Sloney »

Issue resolved with the turnbuckles! Thanks everyone! Flies great except for the landings! Lol!

Return to “Just Aircraft”