New Highlander Builder

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
tfrase

New Highlander Builder

Post by tfrase »

My kit is finally here and unpacked. I picked my kit up from the factory and got to visit with Jack (their head builder) some. He said that he likes to shorten the fusalage stand-offs (called spigots in the manual) to make it more streamlined when he puts on the stringers. Does anyone have measurements for the stand-offs that they like? Also, the manual says to secure the tope stringer with a rivet and adhesive. Are both ends riveted? And where should I drill the hole for the rivet? I hate to have such dumb questions right off the bat, but I've never done this and the manual is a bit light on details. I appreciate any help.
Tom
Tom Frase
Building Highlander Kit # 534
Cotter, Arkansas
Tralika
Veteran Member

Re: New Highlander Builder

Post by Tralika »

Hi Tom,
Welcome to the journey. The standoff distance on the stringers is not all that important. It's just what looks good to you. Just slip the stringer material in place and temporally secure it with string. You can adjust the curve/standoff until you get what looks best to you, then cut off the spigots, drill the stringers and mount as per the manual. The top stringer is not riveted at the forward end, only the rear. You cut away the material on the rear end of the stringer so it makes a smooth transition to the vertical stabilizer tubing. Once you do that there will be sort of a tab on the end of the stringer material that will lay against the vert stab tubing, it will be obvious where the rivet should go. There's a link to my build log below. You can see what I did in the Fuselage section. Keep in mind that even though I followed the manual closely during my build, what you see on my build log is not the only way of doing things.

If you don't already have a rotisserie for your build I suggest you try to get one. It is very handy when working on your fuselage and wings. If you do get a rotisserie I suggest you wait to permanently install your vertical stabilizer until after you cover the bottom of the fuselage with fabric. You can use clecos to install the vertical stab following the sequence in the manual, just wait to rivet it in position until after the bottom is covered. That will allow you to turn the fuselage upside down and gravity will be your friend when you lay out the fabric.

I have lots more photos of my build than you will see on my build log. If you have any questions feel free to ask, you can send me a PM on this site. I had lots of help during my build. Also, don't hesitate to call the factory. As you said, the manual can be a little short on details. Many times the manual confused me so much I called the factory only to hear "Oh we don't do it that way" and then they would give me another process over the phone that was much simpler. They were always very helpful on the phone and told me to call anytime. Jak even gave me his cell number so I could call him on the weekend. I never did that but obviously they don't mind getting calls.

Good luck.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Welcome! Good luck with the build. I'm building a SuperSTOL so I'm not positive but don't think there are any differences on the stringers. If I'm mistaken someone will surely set me straight. Anyway, here are a couple of pics of mine...
Dsc04373.jpg 800x450.jpg
20181008_162113 800x510.jpg
20181008_162123 800x450.jpg
20181006_131038 800x585.jpg
Dsc04372 800x430.jpg
Not the best pics but should give you an idea, hope this helps.

Clark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Or skip the stringers and leave all the pointy parts sticking out.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
tfrase

Post by tfrase »

THANK YOU ALL! Very helpful, and John's build log and Clark's photos are very helpful. I like the idea of just leaving the pointy parts sticking out. Might give it a nice punk rock look. I got an engine stand today to use as a rotisserie. -tom
Tom Frase
Building Highlander Kit # 534
Cotter, Arkansas
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Once u get them tied down temporary, pull a sheet across it to see what it will really look like, and take pictures for comparison.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind

Return to “Just Aircraft”