Horizontal Stabilizer Fabric Covering

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Horizontal Stabilizer Fabric Covering

Post by mhcrowder »

Guys,

Finally started covering our project. We are working on Horizontal Stabilizers, but this question applies to so many other places. We've got the parts covered and working on the finishing tapes. On the horizontal stabilizers in one corner, you have a lot of support members joining in one weld. Should you lay down one finishing tape and then overlap the other tapes in these situations? Or should you lay down one tape and then trim the other tapes so they don't over overlap. All of this gets overlapped by the perimeter tapes anyway? These are the kind of questions the SuperFlite and PolyFiber manuals just don't "cover".

==
Michael
Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
Tralika
Veteran Member

Re: Horizontal Stabilizer Fabric Covering

Post by Tralika »

I tried to avoid overlapping the tapes in those areas. The perimeter tapes will cover some of that but the more you overlap those tapes the more obvious the bumps will be after your done and painted. It doesn't take much time to trim the tapes where they join up, even the ones that are at an angle. I wouldn't worry too much about the bottom of the horizontal stab, no one will see that anyway. However, since my plane was my first time covering I used the bottom of the horizontal stab as a practice area for each new technique. Be patient, I couldn't believe how long it took to do all the tapes. I thought it would never end but it finally did.
Good luck
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

Thanks John!
Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Micheal,
I read some of your build blog and I noticed you used the full 350 degrees when shrinking your fabric. Be careful when using that much heat, it can bend some of the tubing. The horizontal stabs are built pretty stiff but keep an eye on the small tubing on the trailing edge of the rudder and even the lower longerons. Mine started to bend at 300 degrees. The bent tubing on the rudder is clearly visible. Not quite as obvious on the longerons but putting a straight edge on the airframe makes it easy to see. I know the fabric STC says to go to 350, but I think if the airframe is bending the fabric is tight enough. Our planes fly so slow it won't cause any problems. I've been flying my plane with no fabric issues. The wing structure is much stronger than the tubing, 350 there is no problem.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon

Return to “Just Aircraft”