VFR Only POH

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
rpigeek

VFR Only POH

Post by rpigeek »

I bought an EAB Highlander that used the Just Aircraft template when registering with the FAA for the POH with the operating limitations stating "The aircraft must only be flown in day VFR conditions."

Can I change this to allow for night VFR and what's the process? After that change can I retain operating under LSA rules? I'm a PPL with a valid medical, so can fly at night. But I'd like to retain the ability to fly under LSA rules.

The aircraft has the requisite lights.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Re: VFR Only POH

Post by Tralika »

Read your operating limititations carefully and make sure it doesnt say something about "unless equiped with appropriate lighting....must only flown in day vfr". If that wording is present then you can fly night vfr with PP certificate and 3rd class medical. If not then you will need to make a change to the op limitations. You can contact the FAA yourself and try to do that but I suggest you work with a DAR since it is unlikely you'll find anyone at the FSDO that has clue what your talking about. Either way you can still fly your plane under lSA rules as long as it meets all the other requirements. The only thing that might change that is if the AW certificate was issued with a GW more than 1320 lbs.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
rpigeek

Post by rpigeek »

Ok I’ll double check the copy in the airplane itself. Worst a minor change to the operating limitations it sounds like.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Just one addition to what John said. In place of a 3rd class medical you can also use Basic Med, for this application they are interchangeable.

Gary
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Basic Med is good but has more requirements for compliance than LSA, so if you only want to do LSA stuff, then that is an easier row to hoe.

And as stated above, the POH really doesn’t matter as far as operating limits (legal, not physical). If the op limits don’t prohibit you from it then you can operate it how it is equipped. If you have IFR equipment and no limitation on that, go for it, as long as you don’t have an in-flight adjustable prop, retracts (on floats they are “repositionable” so that doesn’t count), weight over 1,320, and Vh over whichever limit your logbook allows (can’t remember the actual speeds off the top of my head). Since you have a PPL, you don’t need to worry about the lower Vh or any endorsement, except tailwheel, unless you built it as a single seat highlander.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Just to be clear. If your flying under LSA rules you can NOT fly at night. Sounds like the plane is EAB. If the operating limitations say OK for night flight and you have a third class or basic med you are OK. You mentioned LSA, no night flying allowed under LSA rules.
rpigeek

Post by rpigeek »

What gets sent to the FAA for operating limitations for an EAB aircraft? Is it the POH or something else?

I did mix a few concerns in this post for context, but my issue is figuring out how to make sure I can operate the aircraft at night, or adjust the limitations to allow that.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

As Tralika mentioned....

Depending on when the plane was issued the Operating Limitations they are all pretty standard. The below is what mine has on flying at night

#7 This aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day only. (they are talking about the first 40 hours under Phase 1)

#8 After completion of phase 1 flight testing, unless appropriately equipped for night and/or instrument flight in accordance with 14 CFR 91.205, this aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day only.

If yours doesn't mention something like number 8# I would get a hold of a local DAR or call the EAA and ask.

Gary
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

rpigeek wrote:What gets sent to the FAA for operating limitations for an EAB aircraft? Is it the POH or something else?

I did mix a few concerns in this post for context, but my issue is figuring out how to make sure I can operate the aircraft at night, or adjust the limitations to allow that.
I think you have two different definitions of “Operating limitations”

The ones the FAA cares about are the ones THEY put on you in the form of your limitations given during your inspection process with the DAR.

The ones in the POH are developed by the kit mfg./builder and are just for you and anyone who flies the plane. The FAA doesn’t need specifics on this stuff. They don’t get a copy of the POH.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

We built my SuperSTOL to be a Light Sport, and we equipped it with night flight capabilities. It basically is VFR Capable with Night Flight. Since I have a Private Pilots Certificate with a sign off for night flight, I can fly it at night. If I had a Light Sport Pilots Certificate I couldn’t fly it at night.
gkremers wrote:As Tralika mentioned....

Depending on when the plane was issued the Operating Limitations they are all pretty standard. The below is what mine has on flying at night

#7 This aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day only. (they are talking about the first 40 hours under Phase 1)

#8 After completion of phase 1 flight testing, unless appropriately equipped for night and/or instrument flight in accordance with 14 CFR 91.205, this aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day only.

If yours doesn't mention something like number 8# I would get a hold of a local DAR or call the EAA and ask.

Gary
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

As long as you have a current medical.
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

Return to “Just Aircraft”