Rotax Choke Cable Connection

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Rotax Choke Cable Connection

Post by jjacky »

OK I'm Flummoxed! I'm wrapping up the engine installation and it's time to connect the enricher (choke) cable to the carb choke lever. In the Just AC Firewall forward kit they supply 5 (J3196) Choke Cable Stops. Three of these are used on the choke cable splitter and I assume (and you known where that can lead us)...I assume that the other two are there to connect the choke cable to the choke lever. But I (with my incredible mind) can not figure out how to get the friggen things to work. I suppose I could dismount the choke lever from the Carb but I keep telling myself there's got to be a better way. The way this will turn out is that I'm using the wrong part entirely but I've gone through the list and the kit numerous times and nothing jumps out. So anybody got a clue for the clueless....Thanks!
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
alan
Veteran Member

Re: Rotax Choke Cable Connection

Post by alan »

Hi jjacky.

I finally went to our local auto parts store and bought a single cable choke cable and hooked it up to the starboard (passenger) side carb. I figured if one side would start the other would follow immediately. Almost 13 years and 860 hours later I'm still happy with that decision.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Thanks Alan. I'm definitely going to think about this.
Another answer would be to go to the Home Depot aircraft supply store and replace the screw with a stainless 6-32, 5/16 Phillips and screw it in on thee bolt head side. Then all the tightening can be done from the outboard side of the carburetor. Note: The Air Spruce Q +A on this part sez that the bolt head side accepts a 6-32 and the other side is 8-32.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

I'm not sure what you are having issues with since I didn't use what Just supplied. Many of the planes using the 912 have gone with McFarlane engine controls. They are not cheap but work exceptionally well.
controlcables.pdf
IMG_1200.jpg
It's easier to crisscross the cables as they exit the firewall.
IMG_1279.jpg
IMG_1281.jpg
If you zoom up you can see the shrink tube holding the outer cable shield to the brass 90 degree choke (enricher) fitting.

Gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Awesome photos! Thanks for posting them Gary.

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Gary Thanks for the photos!..My problem isn't with the control cable but the cable swivel (stop) where the cable joins the choke lever on the carb. The swivels supplied by Just do not work unless they are modified as I described above (except that the screws are not 6-32 as I original said (a mix up in the A.Spruce catalog)). They are 8-32 x 3/8

Hey what is purpose of that oil manifold(?) on top of your engine ?
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

If you open up the McFarlane PDF they have the cable end swivel. The Thermostasis controls the flow of oil to the cooler. When the oil is cold it blocks most of the flow to the cooler, the engine warms up much faster. In cold temps it keeps the oil warmer by controlling the flow. ACS sells them but Aircraft Specialty sells the entire package including hoses.

http://www.aircraftspecialty.com

THERMOSTASIS OIL TEMPERATURE CONTROL FOR ROTAX 912 UL / ULS

Gary

Return to “Just Aircraft”