Horizontal Stabilizer Screw Up

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
tfrase

Horizontal Stabilizer Screw Up

Post by tfrase »

“By seeking and blundering we learn.”
― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

So I made a mistake (another one) today. And I'd like any opinions about how critical you think it might be.
In fitting the horizontal stabilizer front bracket, I thought I had it completely right, and I drilled the holes. However, the holes did not quite line up when I went to put the bolts through. I figured that keeping it level was very important for the performance of the airplane. I drilled away some of the hole in order to get the bracket level again, and where the bolt would go through. The bolts are in, and the stabilizers are level to the wings, but now I'm worried that I may have weakened that joint. My thought was to get it spot welded into place to prevent any undo vibrations. Do you think this is needed or even wise?

I just don't know how bad this mistake is. Any advice would be appreciated.
Tom
Tom Frase
Building Highlander Kit # 534
Cotter, Arkansas
Tralika
Veteran Member

Re: Horizontal Stabilizer Screw Up

Post by Tralika »

Tom,
Sorry to hear about your setback but I don't think it's a huge problem. First, I would not weld that part in place, you may have to move it some day. At worst you can order a new bracket from the factory, have the holes in the square tubing on the airframe welded up and just re-drill the part again. I doubt you removed enough material to weaken the part to the point of structural failure but for piece of mind I'm sure youl'd like to have it right. I suggest you call the factory and get their advice on this. There's a wealth of knowledge here on the forum but for something like this I think it would be best to get the opinion from the folks that designed and built that part. Good luck.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
BDA
Veteran Member

Re: Horizontal Stabilizer Screw Up

Post by BDA »

Put bolt in the hole and measure / feeler gauge the clearance??

I think if it was me, I would add some weld to the side that is oversize, then redrill, but only becase I am comfortable welding.

If you did weld the bracket on and have to move it later you could always grind it off.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind

Return to “Just Aircraft”