Oratex Question

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Oratex Question

Post by BucF16 »

I have a call in for Paul Mills and or Lars, but they haven't called me back. So, I'll put the question out to Y'll. In the factory manual it states that for a wing structure that both the rib and the fabric get 2 coats of glue. In Lars' produced manual, there is a "Note" paragraph that states that only the rib web is coated with 2 coats of glue, and that it is a cushion to the fabric. For those that have used Oratex on the Highlander, did you use this method or the one described in the factory manual?

Second, for the tapes other than over the rib stitching (rivets) which clearly states to use hutment glue, did you use the "Granule" solution, or glue? If the Granule, was the 1 liter enough to finish the whole project. Did you use their container? Mine is pretty dented. What Acetone brand did you use?

Thanks in advance,
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
BDA
Veteran Member

Re: Oratex Question

Post by BDA »

Bruce
I dont have a highlander, so this may be irrelevant

the way I read the manual - if you want the fabric glued to the ribs use 2 coats on each piece, if you want the fabric to be able to stretch across the rib and not stick to it then no glue on fabric.
I am sure you know this.
I am not sure glue on one side is going to be any different - in my tests glue on one piece still sticks - even if you dont iron or rub it down the heat gun is enough, even though it may not be enough for a “structural bond” it is still stuck

I used scap fabric for “cushion”

Lars told me that the granules were just precautionary and not necessary. All the tape tests that I did showed they were not needed - so I didnt use them
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
BucF16
Veteran Member

Re: Oratex Question

Post by BucF16 »

Thanks Shawn!! I can get back to work!

Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com