Value of SS kit?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
duc900mhr

Value of SS kit?

Post by duc900mhr »

With a heavy heart I decided to get rid of my superstol kit. I had a pretty severe medical issue two years ago and I'm not sure if I ever can fly again. I could wait a couple of more years to see what happened, but I feel it's time to let it go and do other, non aviation projects.

Since I barely spent time working on it (<10h!), it's pretty much a new kit with everything needed except firewall forward kit, engine and avionics. Before going to put out an add on Barnstormer, I'd like to hear your honest opinion about the value of this kit.

SS kit with quick built wings stage 2, powder coated white (incl struts, door frames and gear), cowling & motor mount 914, cabin heater,
molded windshield Steve Denitz, oil access door kit, lockable tailwheel (Jim Pekola), vortex generator kit, camlock kit, header tank

In addition 46m Oratex 6000 white

New price >$57k - what would be a realistic and fair sales price?

This is NOT a sale call - please do not respond with offers in that tread. If you know someone who might be interested, send me a PM, or wait for the Barnstormer add in a couple of days.

Admin - If I did something wrong please let me know.

Cheers
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Re: Value of SS kit?

Post by Clark in AZ »

No reason it isn't worth what you paid for it? Plus, there is no waiting for the kit. Sorry to hear about your medical issues. Good luck with the sale.

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

I bought my Highlander kit from a friend who owned it for several years and never started working on it. About the time he retired he decided he wanted to build at the Just factory. He spoke to the folks at Just about shipping his kit back to South Carolina, an expensive venture since he lives in Alaska. After doing some math with the folks at Just he figured out that with the shipping costs, it would make more sense to sell his kit and buy a SS to build at the factory. His Highlander kit had every option that I wanted and nothing that I didn't want. The price of the kits had gone up since he had bought it so it was a good deal. As an incentive, he came down a few bucks from what he paid and we made the deal. Both of us are happy. He built a very nice SS at the factory and I built the Highlander. I don't know what the odds are that someone would be selling a Highlander kit in Alaska when I was ready to buy a kit with the exact options I wanted, but that's how it worked out.

As for selling your kit, I think listing your kit for what you paid is realistic. However you should consider some incentive to make a buyer want to buy from you rather than from Just or one of the Just dealers. I wouldn't take any low ball offers, but coming down a few thousand dollars will help cover shipping and make the buyer feel like he's getting a good deal. I know that don't want to lose money on your kit but given the circumstances, is it really going to make much difference if you sell the kit for a little less than you paid for it X number of years ago?

If it were me, I would price a new kit identical to your invoice and see if there if the price has gone up. Get the kit advertised on the For Sale section of this site as well as Barnstormers, etc. See what happens. Let the folks at Just know what is going on since they might get a call from one of your prospective buyers asking what would happen if they bought your kit.

If anyone is wondering what kind of factory support you get when you buy a Just kit from another builder, I can tell you from my experience it is excellent. Like most builders, I called the factory multiple times with questions and problems. They were always responsive and helpful, told me to call any time I needed anything. At one point Jak told me to call on the weekend if I needed to (I didn't). Under the circumstances the folks at Just are going to be supportive when you find a buyer and it's in their best interest to make sure there are only happy kit owners out there. If you have a prospective buyer that is unsure, I'd be happy to talk to them about my experience. Good luck.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Kudos to you, John. These Just Aircraft seem to attract a really good and supportive group of builders, and your encouraging post is a fine example of that.

Good job!
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
duc900mhr

Post by duc900mhr »

Thanks everybody for your opinion and advice, I really appreciated it!

I put my SS kit in the sale section of this forum and also on Barnstormers. More information and also pictures per PM.

With a laughing and a tearing eye...

Return to “Just Aircraft”