Highlander Door Struts

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
957DK
Seasoned Member

Highlander Door Struts

Post by 957DK »

Can anybody tell me where I can find replacement door hold open struts for a highlander?
Thanks,
Dan
alan
Veteran Member

Re: Highlander Door Struts

Post by alan »

I got mine from Just. I even added some for the windows. Also from Just Aircraft.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Mcmaster-Carr is a great source for that kind of stuff. Plus you can get different forces, strokes, etc.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
KevinC
Veteran Member

Post by KevinC »

I've been getting them from Aircraft Spruce - but they've only been lasting a couple years then dead. Will have to look at McMaster.

K
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

KevinC wrote:I've been getting them from Aircraft Spruce - but they've only been lasting a couple years then dead. Will have to look at McMaster.
The gas springs that came in our kit some years ago were provided by Aircraft Spruce. They were from SUSPA, part # C16-22896. According to the SUSPA website https://shop.suspa.com/c16-22896-gas-spring-p518.aspx, they have a five year warranty.

It looks like Spruce has changed suppliers, because the manufacturer's part # is now H-9510-45, which is apparently from Stabilus.

Specs for the Stabilus springs are here: https://truck-hardware.orrorr.com/item/ ... /h-9510-45.

McMaster has comparable parts at a lower price than the SUSPA units https://www.mcmaster.com/gas-springs, but it doesn't mention a warranty.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Richard,
Thanks for posting the information on the gas struts. Those things always wear out, one of mine is starting to get a little week already. The link you provided for the Stabilus strut has all the specs and was even downloadable as a pdf. I made a copy and put it on my thumbnail with all the other information for my plane. No doubt it will save me some time when I need to order replacements in the future.
Take care,
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
957DK
Seasoned Member

Post by 957DK »

Thanks everybody. Got em ordered up today.
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

If you use the same struts for the windows as you do for the doors you will likely soon find that they pull the light aluminum hinges apart to the point that the bottom of the frames of the windows start to bind against the door frames. I solved this in my Highlander by replacing the window hinges with the larger ones like the door hinges. You may want to consider this when adding the gas struts... that said, I wouldn't be without them!
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

One point that supposedly will make the struts last longer. Most people install the struts with the piston on the top. Seems like a natural way to install them. When I replaced some similar struts on my RV the instructions had you install with the pistons pointing down, so that the lubricant that is inside the strut will rest against the seal and keep it lubricated
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh

Return to “Just Aircraft”