4 or 5 point Seat Belt

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
jjacky
Veteran Member

4 or 5 point Seat Belt

Post by jjacky »

^The "Seat belt attachment" topic lead me to wonder if anyone has installed a 4 or 5 point harness and if you have what kind and how. It seems like the "wrap around" method would work well on the upper and lower frame members..Thanks for your thoughts....bird
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
Tralika
Veteran Member

Re: 4 or 5 point Seat Belt

Post by Tralika »

The standard Highlander/Super STOL belts are 4 point. 5 point belts are a good idea. If the lap belt is loose on a 4 point system it's possible to "submarine" under the belt during rapid deceleration. 5 point belts are required in auto racing for a reason.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I’m planning it. The 5th strap primarily keeps the lap belt from riding up, so you could attach it to the seat frame. I haven’t gotten very far on my plan but that is where I am heading with it.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Back in the day I competed in aerobatics. Pitts S-1C S-1S and a Chisten eagle II. Both Pitts had 7 point systems with ratchet, the Eagle had that in the back seat. The front had a 5 point. Obviously we in bush aviation aren't going fly negative Gs, but the 5 point I feel should be considered. I have seen quite a few videos on you tube, and some friends with 4 point systems where the lap belts were way too high. The proper way to adjust the 4 point system is to leave the shoulder belts loose till the lap in very snug. Then taughten the shoulder belts but not to the extent the they lift the lap belt.

Like Dane, I'll add a fifth belt......But that will be one of the latter mods before I fly.

By the way, We had a first flight of a Pietenpole on our field KVTA a couple of weeks ago. I just happened upon the event. Even though advise and support for the flight were offered by myself and another experienced experimenter ( I have performed 4 first flights ), none was accepted. I didn't turn out well. Stall/spin crash 1000' off the end of the runway. He survived but was very lucky. I'll detail that mishap and give some thoughts on first flights in a later post for those interested.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

The 5 point systems are not terribly expensive. Here's a link to one company with a pretty good reputation. They make belts for race cars but also make them for Ex Aircraft. If you attach the lower belt to the front of the seat frame you would have to get a little creative so it would not interfere with T handle seat adjustment but I'm sure it could be done.

http://www.crowenterprizes.com/Pages/Aircraft.html
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Great Info , Thanks Guys. The 5 point harnesses have two attachment methods, Latch Link and Cam. The Cam method is significantly more expensive. Is there an advantage?
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

latch link is what we used on military trainers (T-37/T-38) and the aerobatic harnesses. Cam is what we use in the airline front seats. I have never inadvertently released a latch type. I however have on the cam type. Our harnesses in our kits are similar to the Christen Eagle harness. So I'm sure, if we wish, we could procure on 5th/lower attach from the manufacturer. I'm not home, but I think we use lowed Hooker Harnesses.

Cheers Bruce
Builder web site:
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Low end Hooker Harnesses.

Also I want to add, that I intend to cut and add a leather lined slot for the 5th strap. That should lead to a more snug fit.
Builder web site:

Return to “Just Aircraft”