Superstol Flying Tail Pics

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Superstol Flying Tail Pics

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

I upgraded to the flying tail from the factory. The darker grey powder coat is the original tail the lighter powder coat is what came with the flying tail kit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Re: Superstol Flying Tail Pics

Elevator trim tab, Original dark grey, Flying Tail Elevator trim tab light grey. The flying tail trim tab is 2 3/4” deeper on the square end, and about 2 1/2” deeper on the angled end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Right Elevator, Original dark grey, Flying Tail Elevator Light grey
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

The original horizontal stabilizer is on top(dark grey), the flying tail horizontal stabilizer is underneath(light grey)
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Flying tail light grey, Original dark grey. The rudder stays the same as original.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Flying tail Horizontal Stabilizer light grey, Original dark grey.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Flying tail light grey, Original dark grey
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

The factory SERIOUSLY needs to list all of the available options somewhere. There are so many upgrades and options, but the only way to know they are available is to somehow know they are available by word of mouth or ESP.

I wouldn’t call this a “flying” tail. That generally means a single moving unit like on a Piper Cherokee. I think it would be a good idea, but you have to have the forces right or it can cause some serious aerodynamic control issues.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

danerazz wrote:The factory SERIOUSLY needs to list all of the available options somewhere. There are so many upgrades and options, but the only way to know they are available is to somehow know they are available by word of mouth or ESP.

I wouldn’t call this a “flying” tail. That generally means a single moving unit like on a Piper Cherokee. I think it would be a good idea, but you have to have the forces right or it can cause some serious aerodynamic control issues.

I can't remember how i found out about the flying tail, but apparently it gives you 2-3 mph better cruise and a tiny bit better over the nose visibility in cruise and approach, and apparently keeps the tail from stalling before the wing on an extreme high angle of attack landing.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

The flying tail is listed on Billy Payne’s website https://www.planefunaircraft.com/upgrades-options, he also has other options for a Superstol like small flap bearings, a different flap handle and chrome moly doors with upper windows, and a air bag for the tail for transporting the plane on a trailer.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

A new Highlander customer (or even one who’s been around a few years actively on the forum) has no idea this stuff is available from the factory. If they cleaned up and kept the website up to date they would probably get more customers, largely by swaying those who are on the fence between say Just and Kitfox. Detailed specs, more “professional” photos of the specific models of the planes and some detailed comparisons between models as well as photos and descriptions of all of the available options along with the benefits of said options.

Of course this is right up there with the build manual...
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

danerazz wrote:A new Highlander customer (or even one who’s been around a few years actively on the forum) has no idea this stuff is available from the factory. If they cleaned up and kept the website up to date they would probably get more customers, largely by swaying those who are on the fence between say Just and Kitfox. Detailed specs, more “professional” photos of the specific models of the planes and some detailed comparisons between models as well as photos and descriptions of all of the available options along with the benefits of said options.

Of course this is right up there with the build manual...
Agreed 100%. The manual is a travesty, terrible writing, horrible, unprofessional pics and no detail. It's more of a pamphlet than a manual. The factory has got to be absolutely tired of fielding the same questions day in, day out. They need to purchase a Kitfox manual to see what a real manual looks like, then start updating theirs to match it. JMHO!

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

You might check with Chris Wallen Wallen Aircraft LLC he has a flying tail as well. His tail has more ribs which make for a better airfoil shape with less scalloping. It is also a symmetrical airfoil design.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I have a flying Tail as well I used a NACA0008 airfoil, made wooden ribs, with a leading edge cuff from the leading edge all the way to the high point of the rib to eliminate 90% of the scalloping and to make a true airfoil shape. My airfoil goes from the leading edge of the Horizontal all of the way thru to the trailing edge of the elevator. I also have the Vertical Stabilizer and Rudder done.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

These are great pictures

Thanks for posting

It seems appropriate to mention the reason for airfoil tail feathers.

The original SuperStol seems to fly very well without them, but ...
The tail does stall when landing at high AOA. This is fine when light, but add a load and the higher AOA is not as easy to maintain (so Ive been told), so landing distance becomes longer.

This becomes much more important on the XL at a higher empty weight, and higher gross with more hp.

Then there is the tail low in flight characteristic that the top airfoil seems to help.

And last drag - airfoil is less drag than flat, but does it matter? - and how big can the airfoil be before it equals the drag of a smaller flat tail?
I will be answering that one very soon.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind

Return to “Just Aircraft”