Superstol Trim

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
BDA
Veteran Member

Re: Superstol Trim

Post by BDA »

Rivet washers are just aluminum washers that provide backup so the rivet doesnt pull through soft / thin material
You can get them at any hardware store
My kit came with some but not enough

On the bolt and trim assembly
I just mixed and matched till it looked right then sent pictures to buddy and Jak, then I took it apart and started over.

Keep asking them for pictures - and tell them to fix the manual, like the rest of us have.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

Meatball wrote:
CanadianSheepHunter wrote:When I searched “Trim” I found nothing so I made this thread. With the L bracket at the furthest aft position there is less chance of the piano wire kinking when used. In the build manual it does say to install it as far aft as it can go. When i first placed it and drilled 4 holes it was more forward, then i decided to trim the base of the L bracket so that it could be installed as far aft as possible and be perfectly inline with both cable attach points.

This thread is awesome as it puts Jak's instructions into full view...pilots like pictures! My questions....

First, what in the hell is a rivet washer, and did the kit come with these?!? I don't have any...
Second, what bolt did you use on the trim handle plate to attach the rearmost tab? It looks like the bolt goes through the cable housing clamp, through the aluminum plate, and finally through the mounting tab on the fuselage.

This is the worst of the instructions so far...they are less than vague. I really appreciate this forum!!
I have not mounted my trim handle in cockpit yet.
Meatball
Forum Regular

Post by Meatball »

Meatball wrote:
CanadianSheepHunter wrote:When I searched “Trim” I found nothing so I made this thread. With the L bracket at the furthest aft position there is less chance of the piano wire kinking when used. In the build manual it does say to install it as far aft as it can go. When i first placed it and drilled 4 holes it was more forward, then i decided to trim the base of the L bracket so that it could be installed as far aft as possible and be perfectly inline with both cable attach points.

This thread is awesome as it puts Jak's instructions into full view...pilots like pictures! My questions....

First, what in the hell is a rivet washer, and did the kit come with these?!? I don't have any...
Second, what bolt did you use on the trim handle plate to attach the rearmost tab? It looks like the bolt goes through the cable housing clamp, through the aluminum plate, and finally through the mounting tab on the fuselage.

This is the worst of the instructions so far...they are less than vague. I really appreciate this forum!!
As soon as I wrote this, I bugged the guys at the factory again and figured this out. Apparently 53 rivet washers come in the Highlander kit...found. Also, the bolt for the cable housing clamp is clearly spelled out and certainly missed the first 12 1/2 times I read the inventory sheet.
~Rob
Meatball
Forum Regular

Post by Meatball »

BDA wrote:Rivet washers are just aluminum washers that provide backup so the rivet doesnt pull through soft / thin material
You can get them at any hardware store
My kit came with some but not enough

On the bolt and trim assembly
I just mixed and matched till it looked right then sent pictures to buddy and Jak, then I took it apart and started over.

Keep asking them for pictures - and tell them to fix the manual, like the rest of us have.

Thanks Shawn! That sounds about the way I did it as well. Mix and match...ugh. My OCD is in overdrive!!
~Rob
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Here’s some pics I got from factory recently, as I started working on the cockpit end of the trim on my SuperStol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

It’s not in my instructions but the factory told me yesterday to sand the bottom thickness of the trim handle down aprox 1/3 of the original thickness with a belt sander to allow free swivel of the wire cable clamp swivel.(“Azusa wire swivel” spruce part #06-01282”). And they also told me yesterday to bend the bottom of handle aprox 10 degrees one way and 10 degrees the other way to give a little clearance for the wire swivel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

One mistake I made was drilling the bolt hole a touch to high...the bolt that goes through the trim handle and aluminum plate. This forced me to make a flat edge on the large area(penny) washer so that the washer would fit under the square tube in this pic on this side.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Pics of my install here.

Return to “Just Aircraft”