Door latch

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
BDA
Veteran Member

Door latch

Post by BDA »

Happy Fathers day everyone!!

Feelin very blessed today.

Just thought I would post a couple pics of how I put the door handle / latch together.

Roll pins can be frustrating if you dont cheat a little.

Dip the stem that will go inside the other half in antisieze - remember, a little is enough to paint an entire cow.

Use vice grips to squish the little buggers and make them easier to push into the hole, grab it just far enough from the end that it wont go too far into both pieces, tap in w small hammer, you just want it started in one side.

Put the halves together in the door and double check the latch will swing and hold the door with some tension - not enough tension and the door pops open on final causing a brown pants event.

Use 3/32 drill to push through the holes to line everything up.

Use knipex or channel lock pliers to squeeze the pin through - pushing the drill back out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Re: Door latch

Post by mhcrowder »

Shawn, Thanks for this! I've printed it and placed it in my builders manual for when the time comes!

--
Michael
Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
alan
Veteran Member

Re: Door latch

Post by alan »

I had the door pop open a couple of times early on, always on the passenger side, because he or she wouldn't always center the latch. I was reluctant to reach across and feel to make sure of it's alignment. My solution was to drill a small hole on each side of the properly vertical latch and insert a stainless steel screw. Now I have detents that are easily described to my passengers. No accidental door openings since.

Alan (940hrs and 14yrs next month)
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

Return to “Just Aircraft”