Shop heater

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Meatball
Forum Regular

Shop heater

Post by Meatball »

Good day everyone,

I am building in a single car garage at the house and it's about time to start up the heater...it's been a tad cold working out there. The only problem is that I don't have one. I'm sure there are some suggestions out there. What does everyone recommend?

I like those heater you find at costco that look like a fan and sit on a table top, but they point in one direction and if you're not standing in front of them, it's cold. I'm thinking a radiant heater is more the ticket to heat the space as a whole.

Thanks,
~Rob
kenryan
Veteran Member

Re: Shop heater

Post by kenryan »

How big is the space? How is it insulated? How many windows do you have? How tight (or drafty) is the building? How cold does it get outside? How warm do you want it to be inside?

These are the factors that influence heater choice.
Super Stol Kit #299
Meatball
Forum Regular

Post by Meatball »

kenryan wrote:How big is the space? How is it insulated? How many windows do you have? How tight (or drafty) is the building? How cold does it get outside? How warm do you want it to be inside?

Single car garage..maybe 200 sqft
1 window and 1 swinging door...of course one roll up door as well
It's a pretty tight space with insulation...usually 10 degrees cooler than outside in the summer.
Gets down in the 20's in the winter, but average in the 40s I guess. Mid 60s in the garage would be great but I'll take a bit warmer if possible.
~Rob
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

I would recommend not less than 15,000 btu to cover your coldest example. A simple solution would be some plug in electric heaters. 15,000 but = 4300 watts. Electric heaters often max out at 1500 watts, so that would be three heaters. The type that blows hot air has the advantage of making it feel warm more quickly, because it will be actively heating the air. The radiant type would have the advantage of providing a more even, comfortable heat, because it would be heating the objects in the room, but it would take longer for it to "feel warm" in the garage. You can check your utility company to estimate the cost of running the heaters. They can tell you the cost per kWh (1000 watts for one hour). A 1500 watt heater will use 1.5 kWh every hour. Here in Anchorage, a kWh costs about twenty cents. You also need the circuits to run these. You "might" be able to run two heaters set to max on one circuit, but it is likely that would trip your breaker. It would be better to have a separate circuit for each heater. Bear in mind, this is to meet your coldest scenario. When it is warmer, you would need less heat.
Super Stol Kit #299
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Radiant floor
Or radiant tube are the most efficient

I have both and really like them
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
Meatball
Forum Regular

Post by Meatball »

I think I’ve decided on the oil filled radiant heater. I hope it works...I won’t need much heat, but I need something.
~Rob
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Meatball wrote:I think I’ve decided on the oil filled radiant heater. I hope it works...I won’t need much heat, but I need something.
I heated our two-car-size shop with an oil-filled heater for a couple of winters. I had a Vornado fan blowing directly into it. That moved the warm air around pretty well, and the shop was warm enough to work in comfortably.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
BlainS
Seasoned Member

Post by BlainS »

My wife just granted me use of our patio heater. Way cool (hot) shop heater. Will probably buy a CO detector just in case.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

I'm aware you did not ask for any opinions on using a patio heater indoors but I'll offer mine anyway, doesn't sound like a good idea. In addition to a CO detector, I suggest you keep a good fire extinguisher next to the exit door. I found this youtube video by someone who tested a patio heater in a garage with a CO detector and was surprised at the result. His describes his garage as being poorly sealed and I don't know how the size of his garage compares to yours but it might give you an idea of what you can expect. There are lots of options for heating shops/garages with equipment that is designed for that purpose. I hope you reconsider and spend a few bucks for a permanent, safe shop heating solution. I'm not trying to pick a fight and I'll shut up now. Good luck.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

There are a lot of economically priced vent-free heaters, and through the wall heaters. Either way, you need a CO detector.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... JAg&adurl=

Vented Propane heater. has worked in 2 of my garages.

Goog luck
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

good! :oops:
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Post by planecrazzzy »

kenryan wrote:How big is the space? How is it insulated? How many windows do you have? How tight (or drafty) is the building? How cold does it get outside? How warm do you want it to be inside?

Yeah... Just how COLD is it OUTSIDE...?
Is the garage attached to the house ?

I don't see your location.

I'm in Brrr-midji , Minne-SNOW-ta... Way back in the Woods.
We heat with propane as a steady minimum source.
Otherwise , wood burner... Red Oak

When it's 38 below zero... Those elec heaters would be everywhere, spinning the meter at a dizzying speed .
http://www.wingsforum.com/download/file ... &mode=view
If it gets too cold... everything radiates the cold to much and takes much longer to feel comfortable.
Dress warm... Wool socks help.

If it's still cold , go do something outside for a while.
Then when you come back in... it will FEEL WARM....HA .
Gotta Fly...
Sometimes you just have to take the leap
and build your wings on the way down...
                Gotta Fly...
Meatball
Forum Regular

Post by Meatball »

Well, I tried a bunch of sh*t and that's what it was. I decided for my 3rd purchase, this was the ticket:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-Pr ... WM27529573

I wish I would have done this years ago!!
~Rob
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Meatball wrote:Well, I tried a bunch of sh*t and that's what it was. I decided for my 3rd purchase, this was the ticket:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-Pr ... WM27529573

I wish I would have done this years ago!!
I'd be hesitant about depending on that heater. Use your CO detector. Kerosene heaters are for uninsulated construction sites with proper ventilation, and that means constant through-flow of air. They're not for enclosed areas.

You're doing precision work, and you need a steady temperature in which you can use epoxy. You're probably best with an electric heat source, not one that's combustion-based. If you tried an oil-filled heater, did you use a fan to move air across it?
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

Return to “Just Aircraft”