Spill Guard for Fuelling

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
stede52
Premium Member

Spill Guard for Fuelling

Post by stede52 »

Sorry for the re-post, I just thought by posting it with its own topic might get some comments :D :

I've got a pilot friend who has developed a very simple but affective accessory for fueling. I immediately thought of the Highlander community because I would have bought one of these in a heartbeat if it had been around when I had my Highlanders. Those of us who had/have the fiberglass tanks version Highlander know the issue. If you happened to spill fuel around the filler neck the fabric would start to release from round it and also in many cases stain your paint. This spill guard will definitely reduce or eliminate that problem.

I'm putting this out there to see what you think of the product and if you would spend $25-$30 for it. My friend would like to get some feed back on the product because he's trying to get Aircraft Spruce, Sporty's Pilot shop and other aircraft related shops to pick up the product. The product is 100% silicone and fits a 2 1/8" filler neck. I've got one for my Cub and it does works great!

Check it out on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey_W6z6bo6c, and if you have time, let me know what you think. If you have any further questions about the product you can contact Steve Carrado at: spilgardtm@gmail.com

Thank you and have a Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Years, I think we are all looking forward to a new year :)
Steve D N419LD
BlainS
Seasoned Member

Re: Spill Guard for Fuelling

Post by BlainS »

I’ll give you my two cents.

I expect even after wiping out it would smell like fuel. I don’t want that in the cabin. Then if the fuel island doesn’t have disposable paper towels we would end up with the same problem. My shop rag soaked in fuel back in the cabin with me.

Not shooting the idea down. I’m sure there are some applications. Just expressing why I don’t think it would be the product for me.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

BlainS wrote:I’ll give you my two cents.

I expect even after wiping out it would smell like fuel. I don’t want that in the cabin. Then if the fuel island doesn’t have disposable paper towels we would end up with the same problem. My shop rag soaked in fuel back in the cabin with me.

Not shooting the idea down. I’m sure there are some applications. Just expressing why I don’t think it would be the product for me.
Thanks Blain, appreciate the comments, I was concerned about that also so I put the rag I used for that purpose in a separate zip lock.
Steve D N419LD
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

I agree on the odor issue. Perhaps a heavy-duty Ziploc bag would be a good addition to the funnel kit. Keep the funnel in the bag to eliminate odor.

We carry paper towels. If we use them to mop up spilled gas, we put them in the trash, not the plane. I expect we'd use them to clean the Spilgard before we put it back in its bag.

Even if I have to supply my own Ziploc bag, I'd be in for a Spilgard.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

SheepdogRD wrote:I agree on the odor issue. Perhaps a heavy-duty Ziploc bag would be a good addition to the funnel kit. Keep the funnel in the bag to eliminate odor.

We carry paper towels. If we use them to mop up spilled gas, we put them in the trash, not the plane. I expect we'd use them to clean the Spilgard before we put it back in its bag.

Even if I have to supply my own Ziploc bag, I'd be in for a Spilgard.
He thought about adding a bag, he figured the pilot would probably get the size he needed based on the rag he was using. I never actually clean the spilgard because the avgas it evaporates so quickly. Thx the your comment.
Steve D N419LD
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

I have a Highlander with the fiberglass tanks. The Spill Guard would not work on my plane because the filler caps are flush with the top of the tank. Not sure if it would work with the metal tanks. I try not to overfill my tanks but of course it happens once in a while. I have not had a problem with the fabric lifting around the tanks because I sealed the edge of the fabric with Seal All. It's a clear sealer that is resistant to gasoline. It's been on my plane for about 3 years and is still good. When I slop some fuel on the wing I rinse it off with a little water and so far don't have any stains. The Spill Guard may be marketable, lot's of aviation gadgets are, but even if I had one I'd still use the Seal All.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
mac
Seasoned Member

Post by mac »

IMG_0543.jpg
IMG_0542.jpg
Steve............as a compliment to what you are talking about, for those of us who use Rotax variations (I drive a big bore 914) and are suppose to be using higher octane auto gas, I've found the Tuft Jugs to be indispensable. In my case, with Stewart System covering and paint being used, it's doubly important. Have added fuel many, many times and never a drop of spillage.............well, except once, when I forgot to check that the Ripper Cap was tight on the jug. Now a part of the refueling "checklist"!

BTW Steve, your windshield, which I bought from you some years ago, has worked wonderfully. Great product. Thanks. Glad to see someone in the Just group is apparently still producing them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark M.
N49SS in Phase 2....for good!
stpilot09
Forum Regular

Post by stpilot09 »

mac wrote:
IMG_0543.jpg
IMG_0542.jpg
Steve............as a compliment to what you are talking about, for those of us who use Rotax variations (I drive a big bore 914) and are suppose to be using higher octane auto gas, I've found the Tuft Jugs to be indispensable. In my case, with Stewart System covering and paint being used, it's doubly important. Have added fuel many, many times and never a drop of spillage.............well, except once, when I forgot to check that the Ripper Cap was tight on the jug. Now a part of the refueling "checklist"!

BTW Steve, your windshield, which I bought from you some years ago, has worked wonderfully. Great product. Thanks. Glad to see someone in the Just group is apparently still producing them.

I love the idea of those caps.. Any clue as to whether they would work on the AK bush bags?

Tim
mac
Seasoned Member

Post by mac »

Hey Tim. Sorry....missed your post! Those ripper caps need a fair amount of weight on them, coupled with something rigid to rest on, to work right. I suspect a bush bag would be just too flexible to work with and be clumsy. I’ve only attempted to work with them on rigid fuel tanks, where they work great.
Mark M.
N49SS in Phase 2....for good!
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Tim,
if you have the bushwheel bangs you really need the shut-off spout that they sell or make one. I built a shut off spout and sent Alaska Airframes pictures of it and told them they need to start building them for the bags because the spout that came with it is worthless at best. To my surprise they did start building them :shock: The shut off spout is a must for those bags.
Steve D N419LD
stpilot09
Forum Regular

Post by stpilot09 »

stede52 wrote:Tim,
if you have the bushwheel bangs you really need the shut-off spout that they sell or make one. I built a shut off spout and sent Alaska Airframes pictures of it and told them they need to start building them for the bags because the spout that came with it is worthless at best. To my surprise they did start building them :shock: The shut off spout is a must for those bags.
Yup... I see that one now, thanks. I'll be ordering one. I "attempted " to add a valve to the other worthless spout and it was a complete failure.

Tim

Return to “Just Aircraft”