Stewart Systems Paint

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Stewart Systems Paint

Post by jjacky »

I am finally getting ready to paint and because the highlander is being built downstairs I'm tempted to use the Stewart systems water born paint. I've had good luck with their glue but I've heard mixed comments on their paint. If you've used their system please let me know how it turned out,
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
Xengineguy
Forum Regular

Re: Stewart Systems Paint

Post by Xengineguy »

Talk to Stewart’s before you start shooting. Some things change over time and it’s nice to get the latest tech.
I painted my Kitfox 4 Speedster with Stewart’s over poly brush silver. Came out nice in the end. Had to repaint
The fibreglass cowl (got outgassing in the paint ). I like there primer. The paint is not tolerant to non ethanol gas
I had a very small drip from one of my sumps and it lifted the paint bad. The crazy thing is I cleaned the sump
Didn’t do anything to the paint damage, and as weeks passed it fixed itself! Months later you couldn’t see the paint
Had any problems at all. It’s ok but you need to follow there instructions!
My new superstol is polyfiber with ranthane. Stinks but I like the results! :D
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

I used Stewarts paint on the Aluminum and fiberglass parts, looks great but very fragile. Chips and peels VERY easy.
I will not use again.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

I used Stewart's for the same reason, building/painting in an attached garage so the solvent based paints were not an option. I've experienced no problem with the top coat holding up to non-ethanol gas or anything else including brake fluid. I've also experienced no chipping or pealing. I struggled with the painting process (my first time spray painting anything) but I used a borrowed turbine sprayer and spray gun not recommended by Stewart's. The paint formula has changed over the years, the top coat has a much longer working time now, and the application technique has changed. There are old instructional videos by Stewart's that are no longer correct so if you use Stewart's I recommend going to one of the weekend workshops and getting instruction on the correct way to apply the paint. Even if it involves the expense of some travel it will be cheap a twice the price when you start painting. You should also use the exact equipment set up recommended by Stewart's. As I said, I used a turbine sprayer and gun not recommended by Stewart's, the filler and primer went on fine but I had lots of trouble getting the top coat to flow out. The folks at Stewart's were very helpful over the phone and I ended up with a good result but it would have been much easier if had I used equipment that is known to work well with their product. Stewart's now sells discounted "practice kits" of their paint so you can try it out for not too much $$$. That was not available when I painted my plane but I recommend doing that so you get some experience applying the paint. I'll include a link to by build log if you want to see my painting journey. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Good luck

http://mykitlog.com/users/category.php? ... gory=10793
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
KevinC
Veteran Member

Post by KevinC »

Regarding Stewart Systems Paint -

I used the system as it existed in 2007. I had some epic problems with runs - I think there are still threads and pictures here on the forum. It was a huge challenge, solved only by a trip to the factory and some serious air filtration (oil in the air). In the end I had a nice paint job, and once I got the system figured out it was manageable and safe to use.

My main reason for chiming in is that after all of these years it still looks good and no problems (other than needing extreme care around fuel) with the system. It is still bright and flexible.

Kevin
Highlander #103
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Great...;.Thanks for the input guys....confidence builder.
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!

Return to “Just Aircraft”