SuperStol Elevator Rod Cover in Cargo Area

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

SuperStol Elevator Rod Cover in Cargo Area

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

Wondering what others have done to beef up the cover that goes over the elevator push/pull rod in the cargo area of a SuperStol? This plastic pipe adds 15oz without a couple bolts yet to secure it to the factory cover. And it and the factory cover have not been shortened yet. Maybe a chunk of 2” diameter aluminum 6061 pipe would be lighter than this combination??...but then I would need to weld the lip along each edge where the cover fastened to the floor. Anyhow curious what others have done. I will haul moose quarters one day so that’s why I want it tougher.
I weigh 195 lbs and with this sitting on a cement floor I stood on it with both feet with no fasteners holding the plastic pipe to the aluminum and it was solid.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: SuperStol Elevator Rod Cover in Cargo Area

Post by SheepdogRD »

Maybe talk to Steve Henry about how he bends the control rod so it goes under the floor...
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

SheepdogRD wrote:Maybe talk to Steve Henry about how he bends the control rod so it goes under the floor...
I don’t want to slow down my build. I don’t want to mess with cutting/welding and modifying the Bellcrank
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

The two together weigh 1 lb 8oz. The stock piece is 0.020” so if that was made from 0.050” it would probably be lighter than this combination of the plastic pipe and factory piece. The factory piece painted and not trimmed(came 44” long) weighs 8oz.
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

The original push rod covers were .040 until a couple of years ago, when the factory started to cut costs a bit and tried make the plane a little lighter. So, you are correct that a heavier gauge aluminum would be better from a weight perspective, but having a plastic sleeve over it may be more practical since you can remove it when not moose hunting, which lightens the plane by a pound.
On my newest build, I did like Steve Henry and moved the push rod underneath the floor, but I specified that when I had the fuselage built, so the guides are already moved. The bellcrank did not require any lengthening, just a couple of turns out on each end.
I like the idea of a clear floor area and eliminated the weight of the cover altogether... every once counts!
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Cool, thx.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

I was not told there was an option to move the rod underneath when mine was built, when I asked why it isnt underneath - they said it wasnt worth the trouble- now they sell it that way.
So
I cut 1 1/2” foam to completely cover the bagage floor on both sides of the rod. Then bridged over the rod with lexan to make the floor flush and flat.

I also brought the lexan forward to cover the pulleys behind the seats.

Turned out pretty good, not much extra weight, and more comfy if I have to pull the seats and sleep in there. (I keep a thin piece of plywood in the back to cover the seat rails for sleeping when its nasty). Extra length in the XL is handy, so is being short.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind

Return to “Just Aircraft”