Kit #87 started.

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
alan
Veteran Member

Kit #87 started.

Post by alan »

I just started building Kit #87 last week. So far all I have done is install the main gear (the tail wheel is on back order). The kit is excellent and includes almost everything but power train and instruments.

I elected to go with the 912S as the airframe seems to be designed around this engine. I'm looking for STOL more than anything, but cruising at or above 100mph is a big leap over the 75mph or so of my Kitfox II (582).

I'm hoping this thread will attract other builders and we can work through any common problems.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
KevinC
Veteran Member

Post by KevinC »

I have been considering the Highlander as well and am very interested in experiences of builders.  I hope to make a final decision in the next few months.  Thanks for any info you can post.

K. Corliss
Prosser, WA
Johnny luvs Biplanes
Forum Regular

Post by Johnny luvs Biplanes »

What is a Highlander?
john
Go love a biplane today :)
KevinC
Veteran Member

Post by KevinC »

Johnny luvs Biplanes wrote:What is a Highlander?
john
See www.justaircraft.com

k
Johnny luvs Biplanes
Forum Regular

Post by Johnny luvs Biplanes »

Ah, we have the Escapade here in the UK though it is still fairly recent.
What changes have been made for the Highlander?
John
Go love a biplane today :)
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

The Highlander is an Escapade fuselage with taller landing gear, bigger tires (tundra tires), longer wings, and larger aerodynamicly balanced rudder and elevator. With the 912S Rotax it should cruise a couple MPH slower but climb out with much more enthusiasum.

Alan
KevinC
Veteran Member

Post by KevinC »

I have just begun the process of selling the Bonanza and 'going sport'.  Would love to hear about the progress on your Highlander.  I have been working with the local Just dealer in LaGrande, OR - hoping for a test hop first - and to talk with a few builders before I make the plunge.

Did you decide on the 912S for the autogas option?  I live on a river & am thinking floats [eventually] so am thinking either 912ULS or Jabiru.  In the 'gee, that looks cool' category would be the Rotec radial, but I don't know if anyone has done that yet.

KevinC
Stan Bearup
Forum Regular

Post by Stan Bearup »

I have been working on my Highlander for about a month now and am very impressed with the ease of construction so far. Currently l have the floor boards all in along with stringers installed, the tail feathers are installed for initial fit, and flying wires fabricated and installed. The seats are built and installed along with the rudder pedals, brakes, rudder cables and such. The flap handle and pullys are all installed. Today I painted and installed the header tank and I am now starting to think about what to do for an interior. I really want to build it and have it fit prior to covering the fuselage which is not too far off now that nearly all of the sysems are installed.

I have purchased a Rotax 912 UL and plan to install the 912XTRA package to increase the power up to 98HP. After doing a lot of research on engines and propeller combinations, I have decided on the Rotax 912 rather than the Jabiru 3300 since I will be able to swing a longer prop and achieve a greater thrust. I plan to install floats in the future and use the Highlander mainly for bush type flying in Idaho and Alaska.
So far, my hat is off to Just Aircraft on designing such an excellent kit plane. It is very simple to build.
Cheers!
Stan Bearup
bearup@ida.net
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Well, I finally have gotten off dead center and started working on the Highlander full time.  :D My father-in-law and I have been putting in 6 or 7 hours a day for the last several weeks. We don't work fast, but I hope we are working good.  :roll: We are about to the completion level of Stan except the flap control is next. I got to sit in the pilot seat yesterday! :!:

The only problem we are having is getting around the out of date parts of the manual. Troy and Jamie have been great about answering questions and keeping me straight, though. I just hope the updated manual is ready before first flight. :twisted:

I should be getting the last of my back ordered parts (except for the engine mount) this week. Life is good.

Alan
sparkinpilot

Post by sparkinpilot »

I'am interested in building an escapde, basically the same thing as the highlander from what little I know.  How did you find out about the just aircraft company and how did you make your decision? I have many questions for you and any other builders of the just aircraft escapade or highlander. anyone please feel free to email me at sparkinpilot@hotmail.com with any and all information you have about these planes. Also builder are you going to be selling you kit fox maybe the answer is not to build my own but to fly someone else's...

dave
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Dave,

The company website is www.justaircraft.com

Complete specs and lots of pictures are available.

Sorry, I sold the Kitfox several years ago for a Cherokee. Now I am going back to smaller, lighter, more fun, STOL type airplanes.

My first exposure to Just Aircraft came from the Kitplanes annual "Kit
Aircraft Directory" issue due out next month. I went for a visit and ordered on the spot.

The wings are on, the tanks are going in today, flaps and ailerons will be on by next week. Covering is imminent.

Alan
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

So far, the hardest task accomplished was cutting the slots for the aileron/flap hinges. You have to "chain drill" where you want them to be and then file (with a really small file) the material away. The hard part is in finding exactly where to drill and then drilling the dozens (hundreds?) of holes so that you don't make the slots too wide. Guess what: some of my slots are too wide. Not so wide as to cause a problem, just too wide estheticly. I hate it when that happens.

One aileron hinge was missing, but Just Aircraft folks are the best and the hinge is on it's way. Should be here today. Maybe I will be able to install them puppies today. All holes are drilled and reamed, bushings installed, hinge plates clamped into place, and plan-of-attachment visuallized.

Everything is going well. I should be covering by the end of the month.

Alan    Highlander #87
utpa001
Forum Regular

Post by utpa001 »

Hello,
I am also thinking about building the Highlander.  I have a couple questions though.  How much have you invested in tools to build the kit?  How long do you anticipate it will take to complete the kit, Kitplanes directory says 500 hours, is that realistic?  Also, is it fairly easy to build just following the manual, or is some instruction or class helpful to know what you are doing?

Tim
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Tim,

It is hard to say about the tools as I have been collecting a goodly tool selection for a couple of decades. I have spend only $200 or so on tools since I started in late July.

About the time required, it really depends on your skill level, your space to build in, and the kind and quantity of tools you have. A drill press, for example, will save you some time but a hand drill will certainly work. You can build in a two car garage, but you might have to move it outside to install the wings, which takes additional time. I can just say that the Highlander is quite easy to build compared to some other kits that state "500 hours". All the welding is done and the aluminum is all pre-bent. It is more than just assembly. Take my progress for example: I, working partly with help but mostly on my own, have installed all the fuselage mounted controls, mounted the wings, installed the flaps/ailerons on the right wing, installed the tail surfaces, and the seats. All this in 120 hours of work. I do have previous experience, but it has been 13 years since I have built an airplane, a Kitfox Model 2 with Rotax 582 power.

As far as the manual goes, there is room for improvement. They say it is being revised. On the plus side, Just Aircraft provides excellent support over the 'phone. With my cell phone not charging long distance, I just call Troy (the designer) anytime and he sets me straight.

I hope I have answered your questions. Good luck.

Alan
Wes
Premium Member

New Guy on the Block

Post by Wes »

I picked up my Highlander kit at the factory in Dec (kit #0095) and it is waiting for me to finish the kitchen remodel.
Ive been a GA aircraft driver for too many years (1967) and now looking for some real FUN flying.
I haven't accomplished a whole lot on the kit because of the "domestic priorities", but I hope to get going in earnest by Feb.
I plan on a Rotax 912ULS purchase in a year or so unless somebody changes my mind.
I'm new to forums and I appreciate the comoraderie (or condolence's as the case dictates) :D
Stopped by the Just factory in June of last year and met the whole gang - first class crew!  
Still haven't had a chance to fly one of these things, but everybody( who's opinion I trust) I've talked to says this is a beautiful flying airplane.
Anxious to follow you guys progress and share some thoughts.
Wes
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!

Return to “Just Aircraft”