Kit 97, Piedmont South Dakota

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Highlander N973U FLIES.  Today the test pilot showed up and we had a beautiful South Dakota winter day.  No wind, 45 degrees and full sun.  The bird flies well.  He reported onset of stall in the 30 with flaps and 36 clean range.  Speed was about as advertised.    Needs a lot of rudder to coordinate turns.  We will repitch the prop to get a few more RPMs on the takeoff roll.

Big smiles all around.  Next time the weather clears, test pilot will ferry to a big paved runway and I will jump in and take it up.

He did take off and land on my strip here at the house.  He thinks it will work fine.
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Dave!
 Congrats!  It must be quite a thrill to see it in the air.
Even more so when you get to try it!

I hope I'm not too far behind you!

Be safe!

Johnny C!
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
dauckjl
Seasoned Member

Post by dauckjl »

Good to hear Dave!  There won't be any complaints if the weather stays good this winter, more time to get those flight tests done.

Justin
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Today was a big day for the airplane.  I took my first solo in the new plane.  I taxied back and forth, trying to decide if I could land the airplane.  I was confident in the takeoff, but the landing....

After about 6 trips up and back on the home airstrip, I pushed the throttle to the firewall, and flew away.  What a feeling.  Now I had 30 minutes to sweat about the landing.  I flew to the sturgis airport, but the wind was blowing across the runway, I did not like the looks of that.  I decided to fly on to Spearfish.  I tuned in to the automated weather and the wind was 5 mph right down the runway.  I flew a nice approach, did a forward slip to loose some of the altitude, and made a nice 3 point landing on the first try.  I turned off at the first intersection and taxied up to Black Hills Aero.  I needed to get out and calm down.  I was really excited about the flight and landing.

I showed off the plane to anyone that would look at the hanger, and decided that I better to some bounce and goes and get back home.  I made about 2 more successful landings, and did a couple go-arounds to save a couple bad ones.  I wanted to get back to the home airfield, and see if I could get it on the ground there.  If not I would need to fly back to Spearfish for the big, wide open runways.  I made a flyover to check the wind sock and came around and made a bad approach, then one more time around, nice stabilized approach, a little slip, and a perfect 3 point landing with room to spare.

I will do some minor adjustments to adjust the left wing incidence to correct a heavy left wing.  I may re-rig the ailerons.  The rest of the setup is working fine.  I am Happy.

Here is a photo of me at the Spearfish airport to prove that I flew out, and a picture of the mule that pulled the plane from the garage to the airstrip and back.

dauckjl
Seasoned Member

Post by dauckjl »

Hey Dave,

Congratulations on your first flight!  Doesn't it kinda feel like the first time you soloed in training?  I had a few go arounds as well the first time I flew our Escapade and I bounced it a bit so you definitely beat me there :D .

Hopefully I will be able to stop out in June and see the bird.

Justin
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

The main difference in the first flight in the Highlander and my first solo in training, was that I had landed the cherokee a hundred times with the instructor next to me.  Here I was all by myself in a plane I had never flown.  

I somehow survived the ordeal.  Actually it was a piece of cake.  It wants to go staight down the runway.
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Test time complete!
Today I finished flying the 40 hours of Phase I flight testing.  Now the only limit is my imagination.  I can take someone for a ride, I can venture outside my test area.

It is a great feeling.  40 hours and it is still in one piece.

Dave
scubarider
Veteran Member

Congrats!

Post by scubarider »

Congrats Dave!!!  :D
Just fly that puppy to Cleveland, GA so I can pretend that mine is done too... ;o)
Dennis
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!

Return to “Just Aircraft”