Matco breaks, axel

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Gary H
Veteran Member

Matco breaks, axel

Post by Gary H »

Has any one had trouble with axel threads? The nuts are going on way to hard. These are not matco axels and you need washers, sleeves to make them work correctly. I am looking for a 1 and a 1/4 inch x 16 thread chaser for the axel treads. Not an easy item to find.  
Any sugestions?   :(
Will fly for food!!
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

One of my axles had the same problem. I solved it with a small triangular file (very small).

Get down on the ground, put on your best glasses, and find the spot on the threads that doesn't
look perfect. Very carefully, work your file into the thread, a little at a time, screwing the nut on
until it will go past the damaged thread. This should work for any slightly damaged thread as long as the tube is still round.

As far as spacers and washers, Just Aircraft has those parts but you have to ask for them and then you have to modify them slightly to fit around the mounting bolts for the brakes.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
Gary H
Veteran Member

Post by Gary H »

I finally called matco, they said, Just does not use their axel, if they did there be no problem. They have gotten lots of calls on this. Seems that Just threads the axel using a "aircraft thread" this means the threads are rounded, matco uses a standard 1 and 1/4 x 16 thread. Thats the problem. I talked to Jamie about it at Just. He said he would look into using matco axles. My buddy is getting ready to order one, he going to insest on matco axles.
:o                           :roll:
Will fly for food!!

Return to “Just Aircraft”