Inspection Complete

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
dauckjl
Seasoned Member

Inspection Complete

Post by dauckjl »

N370WD got its airworthiness certificate on Saturday.  There were a couple of minor things that we had to do but we were able to do them right away.  Overall, it was a pretty painless procedure and it is quite a relief to have that done.   We are hoping to do the first flight soon but don't have any definite date in mind.

If there is anyone in the area that is going to get a homebuilt inspected, I would suggest Joe Norris from EAA.  He knows what he is doing and is great to work with from the initial paperwork all the way through the final inspection.

I also gotta say good luck to Dave from South Dakota on getting his certificate.  The plane looks great and I am sure you will pass with "flying" colors.

Justin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Congrats,  that is a big relief I am sure.  I have 36 hours before my inspection.  I hope it goes as well as yours.  The plane looks great, especially taxiing under its own power.

Dave
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Fine looking Escapade!!!!

I see a VW engine there. Did you do your own conversion or buy a package? What size and HP?

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
dauckjl
Seasoned Member

VW Engine

Post by dauckjl »

We bought the AeroVee engine package and the spinner from Sonex in Oshkosh.  It has 80hp and is a 2180cc.  It wasn't too difficult to build but it is a good thing that Sonex has their tech line because the manual isn't the greatest.

Justin
  http://www.riocreekairport.com/escapade.HTM
dauckjl
Seasoned Member

It Flies!!!!!

Post by dauckjl »

N370WD flew on Saturday, November 25.  My Dad flew it for about an hour doing about 5 takeoffs and landings.  It climbed out real nice and flew real well too.  It was a bit hazy but no wind.

Justin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

congratulations!  Looks great flying.  you guys should be proud.

That is quite an accomplishment.  

I have yet to do the first flight.  I have flown a few hours in a kitfox, and got my biannual flight review done.  I am now finishing up some minor things like doors and cabin heat.  should be ready if the weather breaks for us in a week or two.

Dave
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Way to go, Justin!!!

You guys have built a fine aircraft. Good luck in the flights to come.

Alan, N1010Z, 94 hours and counting.
dauckjl
Seasoned Member

Post by dauckjl »

Thanks guys.  We are hoping to build some skis for it so that we can fly all winter.

Dave, are you going to make your first flight from your home strip?  Keep us posted if you get that good weather.

Justin
Charlie Reilly

Post by Charlie Reilly »

Nice looking plane,I am awaiting my Escapade should be ready shortly.Good luck flying it.
 Charlie
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I plan on having a high time pilot, that has done many "first flights" in homebuilts have the honor of flying.  He thinks that he will take off from my strip, and fly it to a near by real airport.  I have arranged for a hanger there for a couple weeks.  I will then do my first several flights out of the Sturgis airport, until my confidence grows to take it into a 1000' strip.  Should be fine once I am capable.

What are you guys thinking on the ski's.  I am very interested in building skiis, but do not know what to use or how to start.  Let me know what you know.

Justin, are you still coming to Rapid City this coming summer?  if so let me know.

Great photos of the flight, thanks.  What speeds for cruise, stall etc did you guys end up with?  Are you pleased with the aero vee on there?

Dave
dauckjl
Seasoned Member

Post by dauckjl »

Hey Dave,

We know a guy that built some wheel penetrating skis for his Sky Raider and we are planning on using those to build some.  Since the gear is basically the same, we should be able to pretty much copy them, we will just probably make them a little longer for stability.  I have talked to Troy about them a little bit in the past and I will probably talk to him soon again to see if he has any suggestions.

I am planning on making a trip out to the Rapids City area around the week of June 1st.  I was out there with my Grandpa's Ercoupe a couple years ago and it seemed to be a pretty nice place to fly.  I will let you know as I make my plans.

To be honest, we have only flown "laps" around the airport for about an hour so far.  We ended up adjusting the mixture a couple times to get our EGT temps down a little bit so it was mostly just pattern work.  We are hoping the cruise should be around the 100 mph range.  We are happy with the AeroVee so far but can only get about 2800 rpms out of it.  That might be the prop as we had to work with Prince "blindly" because this engine had only been used on this airplane by one other person.  However, while in the pattern he didn't have full throttle for a very long period of time because of the EGT temp.  At about 50-75% throttle, he was still able to hold 80-85 mph.  The EGT temp doesn't really worry us because we were told that part of having the AeroVee is working with the AeroCarb in the beginning, specifically to make sure that the mixture is set rich enough with the set screw.  Hopefully we will be getting some numbers soon and I will post them.

Justin
Last edited by dauckjl on Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Pioneers

Post by b1x4nqb »

I'm glad you guys have an interest in ski's as well.  Troy told me he wants to build a set himself.  Maybe by the time my plane is finished I'll be able to build an updated version of them once you guys flight test them.  Maybe we can use them on the '08 Alaska trip, eh Dave?

Paul
Paul, PA
dauckjl
Seasoned Member

Video

Post by dauckjl »

Hey guys,

I just posted a video of the first flights on YouTube.  The address is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1JGsbaWhKI  I just kind of threw this one together in a hurry but I am hoping to make up a little nicer one in the future, maybe with more footage.

Justin
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Justin,

Very COOL VIDEO Dude!

I noticed a nice learning curve as you progressed. That big rudder takes some getting used to. I guess my landings will be as smooth as yours, one of these days.

Alan
dauckjl
Seasoned Member

Post by dauckjl »

Yeah, it takes a little time.  My dad and I both had time in a Taylorcraft when we soloed but what you see in the video is a result of flying Ercoupes for the past 5 years.  Coupes are definitely still a lot of fun but it is also a thrill getting back to the taildragger.

Justin

Return to “Just Aircraft”