Gorilla snot

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
KevinC
Veteran Member

Gorilla snot

Post by KevinC »

Ok, folks.  Until now I've avoided this stuff - but now it is time to do some glue.  I've read the manual  :( - I'd like to hear any tips for working with it.  My first job is bonding the stringers.

thanks

Kevin
dauckjl
Seasoned Member

Re: Gorilla Snot

Post by dauckjl »

We found that in most situations it works good to apply the stuff like you are "icing a cake."  What I mean is that you should find some sort of resealable bag.  A Ziploc might work but something that is a more durable and heavy duty would be ideal.

When you have mixed up the two parts, use you stirring stick to put the glue into the bag and then seal the top of the bag.  Then, cut one of the bottom corners off of the bag.  How much of the corner you cut off depends on how much glue you want to come out.  Now, you can roll up the bag and squeeze the glue out the corner.

The down side to this is that you lose the glue that you can't squeeze out of the bag and the bags will add up depending on how much glue you mix up and use at a time.  However, once you get the hang of it, you can get a nice bead of glue and not have to smear it everywhere around the glue point.

If I didn't explain it clear enough let me know and I can mak e up some pictures quick.

Justin
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Ditto from Piedmont.  I used the heavy duty quart size freezer zip locks.  on a smooth surface you can use a bondo spreader to gently push the glue to a corner of the bag.  Squeeze it out.  wear rubber gloves, and have MEK on hand to clean up.  The stringers are ok, wait until the lift strut brackets.  I had epoxy in my arm pit hair.

Dave
utpa001
Forum Regular

Post by utpa001 »

I've found it works good to use a pie tin or plastic "paper plate".  I mix the stuff on that, and use tongue depressors to mix and spread it.  Keeps it off my hands so I can still touch stuff.  I usually wear a pair of latex type gloves too.  Maybe this will help someone someday.
Tim
Wes
Premium Member

Old Epoxy

Post by Wes »

OK, -I am really embarrased to say this, but I have procrastinated so long in the building process that my epoxy glue has gone 'Yucky'.

And I still have some thing to attach to the wings and ailerons.

So, does anybody know what the black and white stuff is in those factory supplied cans?

Can I order it from AS or should I "Just" call the factory and have them send me some more?

Thanks,
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
Roger
Veteran Member

Old Hysol

Post by Roger »

Hey Wes:
I wouldn't use the old stuff. It's called Hysol. I had some and it seemed to go bad and I just called the factory and they sent me more. I had to pay for it, but I figured it was worth it.
Roger
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

The most significant hint I can give is to
mix the amount you think you'll need &
then let it sit for about 30 minutes or longer.
This will allow it to start curing & stiffen up a bit,
and it's much easier to use. I made some
real messes before (& after) figuring this
out.

I haven't used the bag method. I always
used the tongue depressors.

Also, I would keep a cup of soapy water
around to wet my finger & form it to where
I wanted it...fillets, etc... and it's best to wait
a little longer after application to do that,
as well.  Bob, at the factory, used mint
scented rubbing alcohol for the wetting, also...

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Hi guy's its Jak we use a popsickle stick to mix it up on a sheet of onion paper. You can buy a pad of this at any auto paint store. I have diped it out of the can many times as long as you get it as close to 50 50 as you can its ok. Wes don't use the old stuff. We have it and can send you some more. It is called Hysol and its pretty expensive. You only need a quart of each part to do the whole plane. However it only comes in gallon cans from our supplier. We break it down to the cans you get. If you want more call the factory and I will get you some more out. The sent in our alchol just happened to be there we just needed rubbing alchol. We wait about 2 hours after applying and then smooth with the alchol wet finger. Hope this helps.   Jak

Return to “Just Aircraft”