Bungee wrapping

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
KevinC
Veteran Member

Bungee wrapping

Post by KevinC »

I've heard the explanation and seen the bungees on finished aircraft, but I'm wondering if I got it right.  I did the bungee wrapping using a vise and a helper to stabilize the strut - it worked great.  Planning to modify the safety strut a bit, going from the upper strut attach bolt to a loop around the lower part of the strut so when I have to replace bungee cords I can remove the strut from the plane & get the safety cable out of the way.

As of last night - she's on the gear.

Kevin
dauckjl
Seasoned Member

Post by dauckjl »

Hey Kevin,

It looks right to me, based on all of the ones I have seen.  Glad to hear of the progress.

Justin
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Bungee Wrapping

Post by b1x4nqb »

How did you use the vise to help in wrapping the bungee?  I'm about to wrap mine and was wondering what techniques might be most efficient?

Thanks,
Paul
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I actually wrapped mine on the airplane.  I did not have the wheel/hub assembly on.  I sat on the floor with the axle right by my bum.  I put my foot on the opposite side strut and pulled and wrapped the bungess on the strut.  I too have modified the retainer cable.  I made a cable up of 3/16" cable with loops on both ends.  They slide over the strut prior to mounting the strut on the plane.  They do not rub on the bungees and are stronger that the 3/32" cable set up in the manual.
KevinC
Veteran Member

Bungee wrapping

Post by KevinC »

I used a (old, worn-out)  #4 bolt ~ 3 inches long and some washers to keep the head end of the bungee strut from scuffing on the vise.  I put 2 washers on the bolt, put the bolt throught the head end of the bungee strut, then a few more washers.  I put the thread end of the bolt in the vice (now no longer a bolt, but just a waste piece of steel) and tightened the vice.  I had a friend hold the tail (wheel side) of the bungee strut and started wrapping.  The hardest part was figuring out the correct wrapping pattern.

Here is the picture (from OSH, factory bird) that I used as a pattern for wrapping.  If you look closely you can see each pass of the bungee.  I printed an 8x11 of the picture and then labeled each wrap based on where it started.

fwiw

Kevin

Return to “Just Aircraft”