Problem with elevators

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider
Veteran Member

Problem with elevators

Post by scubarider »

I need some help please.  I mounted, drilled and fitted all the tail feathers today.  When I test mounted the elevators, elevators up no problem, elevators down and they both hit the fueslage tubes right behind and to the side of the push-pull rod.  The tubes will not allow the elvevators down.  It looks like the only way it to dremmel out a "hunk" of tube.  Not something I want to do.  Anyone had this problem?
I got out the glue for the first time and glued my stringers.  Yuck..   :P
She is starting to look like a plane!  I need to get some picks up here.  
Thanks for anyones' help on this.
I still have the problem with the valve stem hitting the fork.  A puzzler... :?:
Dennis
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
KevinC
Veteran Member

elevator problem

Post by KevinC »

Can't visualize your problem - can you post a picture?

Kevin
scubarider
Veteran Member

ok

Post by scubarider »

Hey Kevin,
  I will try and get a picture.  Will have to remount the tail feathers.  I know the tail is different on the highlander than the escapade though.  There are two small bars coming down from the rear main bushing where the rear stablizer is attached.  When I mount the elevators both hit those bars when in the down position.  One more than the other.  I think this may be a Troy issue.  Will give him a shout tomorrow.  
D
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Just a quick question.  Does your elevator look like the picture in the manual on page 5-12?  The elevator only needs about 15 degrees of down travel according to the book.  How many degrees of down travel do you have.  Of course the tube of the leading edge of the elevator will hit the fuselage at some point, but that is beyond the necessary range of travel.

Dave
scubarider
Veteran Member

degrees

Post by scubarider »

The right elevator will go down only about 5 degrees.  The left is much further.  I called Troy and he said that the two should be different.  But, there is definitely a problem.  I am going tomorrow to Wahalla {friday}.  Going to take another load of pictures.  Jamie told me that they also had more parts to give me.  So,,,,,,,,,, 8)
Dennis
scubarider
Veteran Member

problem solved

Post by scubarider »

Just wanted to let everyone know that my elevator problem is solved.  Troy drove out to my hangar and brought his cutter and welder.  About 2 hours later problem solved.  The angle of the two tubes was the culprit.  
Thanks!!!

Return to “Just Aircraft”