Pulleys

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Pulleys

Post by b1x4nqb »

Anybody have any good ideas of how to lign up the placement of the pulleys?  Looks like the top pulley to the aeleron needs a path for the cable, cut into the trailing edge of the actual wing material on top??  Does the down travel necessitate that or should I locate my pulley higher?  Anybody have any good ideas of sugestions?

Paul
KevinC
Veteran Member

Pulleys

Post by KevinC »

Paul,

I've not yet done it, but here are some pictures that I took at the factory that might help.  They were using the 12" drill bit to line up the pulley with the flap/aileron belcranks.

k

b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Pulley blocks

Post by b1x4nqb »

I worked on mounting the right wing pulley blocks.  I found that the blocks are welded that the arms are offset to one side.  AFTER, I drilled and fitted the top half.  I had to do a little adjusting but managed to get it all to line up in the end.  Good thing for a grinding wheel!  Anyway, I suggest using the offset so that you can place the top block with the extra lip on top above the arms and revers on the bottom.  That way you have enough room to line up the pulleys with the bellcrank in the neutral position.  On the rest of the blocks I'll be more careful.  I also had to drill through trailing edge with a few holes in order to drill out two of the pulley block mounting holes (where you rivet).  Man I gotta tell you, the shop was 60 degrees today and I felt like I could work forever.  I remember it was soo cold months ago I couldn't touch the metal with wet hands (coming in from the snow).  Today, I worked in a t-shirt.  Very motivating to finish this project.  I also found some time to use a little body filler on the rib cap strips where they meet the spars.  Used a sander to get them down fromthere and finished off by hand to get a nice smooth transition.  I'm not using much but I figure it will be worth it to take off the rough transition.  One thing I'm not happy with yet is that the one piece of trailing edge wasn't bent right and it pushes downward into where the material will be.  I'm thinking it will want to cut into the material.  I tried bending it by hand in a section or two but I'm only going to make it worse.  You really need a brake!.  Unfortunetly it tooks months to get this piece and it was the third they sent me.  Nothing matched up like the first two lengths.  I'm just making due to get past it all.  I've also been waiting for months for the forks that connect the push pull tubes (the ones that screw on).  I don't understand why they can't get their act together?  I'm working around them anyway but I sure would have liked to finish them off when I started them.
KevinC
Veteran Member

Pulley offset

Post by KevinC »

Sorry I should have written that - the pulley offset was what I was trying to illustrate with my hand in that picture.  Also, the 12" drill bit is used to go through the trailing edge material to drill the mounting holes for the pulley blocks.

K

Return to “Just Aircraft”